Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old, old, old mens Bike Nashbar baggy shorts are just about dead. As much as I like the new Fox shorts I don't like shorts that hit my knee. My knees have survived just fine without the "extra protection." I'm looking for baggy shorts that might have an inseam around 8' - 9".

Does anyone know of any firms making shorter mens baggy shorts?

steve

·
Registered
270 Posts
My baggies reach just below the knees and the leg openings "catch" on my kneecaps when I am in the saddle. I don't mind the looks of longer shorts, but they are a pain if I have to keep pulling them off my knees. They are the cheap olive Canyon Cargo shorts I got from Nashbar.

·
Registered
388 Posts
oh man, thought i was the only one who hated wearing shorts that reach down past my knees!

i've tried a lot of different shorts, most seem to have inseams in the 10-11 inch range. one pair i found that fits well and has a shorter inseam is the Cannondale Baggy Fitness shorts:

http://www.rei.com/product/774804

they're not very fancy, but they are comfortable and they are proper length for shorts.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I also have a general dislike for the elastic waistbands of the baggies or lycra shorts. I wear bibs on my roadbike because they are so comfortable. Don't laugh, but I would like to see someone come out with "bib-baggies" that don't go below the knees.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Phil said:
how do you pee in those things? at least with lycra shorts, you can pull 'em down and go when no one's looking.
The same way I do when riding my road bike, that is, remove jersey, remove straps from shoulders, then pull shorts down as far as needed. I do have to find some building or farm shed to go behind, but that may not be much of a problem off-road, or would it? I guess it would depend on how crowded the trail is, and if there is some shrubbery. Soooo...How about bib-baggies with a fly? Or any bike shorts that don't go below the knees with a fly for that matter? I think I'm on to something here! A fly in the shorts is easy, it's the liner that would take some work.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
I have short legs, 30" inseam. My current favorites are the Zoic Ether baggies. They fit above the knee , a little snugger, all day comfortable and no hang ups on the saddle.

·
Registered
19,100 Posts
denmikseb said:
The same way I do when riding my road bike, that is, remove jersey, remove straps from shoulders, then pull shorts down as far as needed. I do have to find some building or farm shed to go behind, but that may not be much of a problem off-road, or would it? I guess it would depend on how crowded the trail is, and if there is some shrubbery. Soooo...How about bib-baggies with a fly? Or any bike shorts that don't go below the knees with a fly for that matter? I think I'm on to something here! A fly in the shorts is easy, it's the liner that would take some work.
The REI shorts have a fly. The attached liner has a dip on the front that gives easy access. I think my Zoics also have a fly.

·
Registered
388 Posts
fred-da-trog said:
I have short legs, 30" inseam. My current favorites are the Zoic Ether baggies. They fit above the knee , a little snugger, all day comfortable and no hang ups on the saddle.
the description on those says 11" inseam, not sure how they don't reach below your knees if you have a 30" inseam (like i do). you sure Zoic Ether is the one your talking about?

·
Registered
388 Posts
denmikseb said:
The same way I do when riding my road bike, that is, remove jersey, remove straps from shoulders, then pull shorts down as far as needed. I do have to find some building or farm shed to go behind, but that may not be much of a problem off-road, or would it?
no, not a problem in the woods but don't know about on the road. not much to hide behind where i ride, just need to seize the moment when you can. i've never tried bibs but always wanted to see what all the talk is about. may just have to look for a sale on a decent pair...

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
On my road bike all my main shorts, knickers and tights are bib-style. Can't beat the comfort. Occasionally I'll use one of the bib shorts with an outer shell (messed up too many nice lycra bibs with trailside brush or crashes) mountain biking. When denmikseb mentioned a bib baggy I was thinking now that's an interesting idea!

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Phil said:
the description on those says 11" inseam, not sure how they don't reach below your knees if you have a 30" inseam (like i do). you sure Zoic Ether is the one your talking about?
I see that 11" on some web sites too. Mine measure 9.5". Zoic's web site says 10"

They fit fairly snug in the crotch. I've never had them snag the saddle even when lycra has.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I hate my REI brand when the "seat" of the baggy part gets hung up on the front of the saddle when I'm moving from standing to sitting, etc... Be nice if they were "tighter" in that area.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Phil said:
no, not a problem in the woods but don't know about on the road. not much to hide behind where i ride, just need to seize the moment when you can. i've never tried bibs but always wanted to see what all the talk is about. may just have to look for a sale on a decent pair...
I would recommend the Pearl Izumi Quest to begin with, they are cheap for bibs (<$70) and they fit well, the size you wear is the size you order. I have a couple other more expensive brands and they are too small, some brands run 1 or even 2 sizes too small. I thought I would get the Quests as "beginner" bibs a couple years ago and those cheap PI's are my favorites. I only wear them on the road and don't think they will stand up to much off-road wear and tear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
StinkyFTW said:
The length looks about right, but the graphics are a bit much for an old fart like me. ADDED: on second thought maybe the graphics are ok. I can only imagine what my old fart neighbors think when they see me go by on my road bike wearing blue and white shoes; tight lycra bib shorts; a 'hi-viz' yellow jersey; black, blue and white gloves; an mp3 player on my arm with behind the neck headphones; and all topped off by a blue helmet. I guess those graphics aren't too wild after all!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.