Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I want to shorten my 2004 Fox 125r Vanilla to around 70mm to make the ultimate dirtjumping fork for my Mob.

is this possible? I know there are spacers, and I can make 'em myself but I was worried that shortening a fork by this much would making it bottom out.

-is this correct?
-has anyone done this?
-can I put 80mm springs in it? I will buy some extra firm springs if needed.

·
Ahahaha
480 Posts
obiwan said:
well, I want to shorten my 2004 Fox 125r Vanilla to around 70mm to make the ultimate dirtjumping fork for my Mob.

is this possible? I know there are spacers, and I can make 'em myself but I was worried that shortening a fork by this much would making it bottom out.

-is this correct?
-has anyone done this?
-can I put 80mm springs in it? I will buy some extra firm springs if needed.

im pretty sure you can get extra firm springs from fox directly or by ordering them through your LBS.
ilikemybike011 lowered his fox about 10 times. haha
it was at 100, then 80, 70, and i believe more recently it was at 60. pretty easy thing to do as i used to watch him to it all the time..
but that fox was sold for this new reba

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
im going to be doing the same thing soon. luckily i already have a firm spring from when we bought my wife's fork. im going to upgrade here front fork and keep the fox vanilla for my urban bike.
so could someone explain the steps on how to lower it and also where do you get the spacers?

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
I lowered mine to 70mm for my stp. All you do is stick 2 20mm and 1 25mm spacer on the bottom of the left leg on the negative spring side. Take out any spacer on the top of the right leg. It'll look something like this:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I lowered my 2004 125 RLC to 80mm. Just go to fox's website and download the manual for your fork (probably the same manual as my fork). There are instructions in the manual for lowering it. As stated above, it's as simple as moving/removing 2 spacers.

I'm 215 pounds, and I ride mine at 80mm with the stock springs. But only on dirt jumps.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
ScaryJerry said:
**** that, he flat out said it was impossible to lower a Zoke All Mountain SL.... which I successfully did...
I have said nothing of the sort. I merely mentioned that Brad had said it was not possible with ETA equipped forks... At least not without a good deal of fab-work or swapping parts around... I would never say something like that is impossible. And searching through your posts... I don't see any posts from me responding to such a question.

There's no need to be hostile or rude. But I guess that's sort of your thing...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I know how to drop it to 80mm, but how to drop it to 70? Put another 10 spacer under the 20 and 25 mm ones? Should I put one in the other leg? Manual says I should take all spacers off the top off that leg.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
true but it'll have the red spring and lots of preload so I doubt it'll move at all unless I land like a sack of bricks...which is the goal.

and 10mm DOES matter. I made a test fork of an old mz with a piece of wood in it with different spacers on top of that; around 72mm seemed to feel the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.