Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would start a new thread as the Trance and Reign available now is a bit long. Anyways there is a short review on MBA about the Trance and Reign -

http://mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=1123

Its written by R.C. and he gives the suspension very high praise. For those of you that dont read MBA regularly about the only bikes he does not find fault with are all either Intense, Ellworth or Titus. He also always argues for the fully active design of a 4-bar horst link bike with an SPV shock. (I guess you get to be picky when all you ride are 3000$+ superbikes)

To give you an idea he did not like the Blur until they started shipping it with the 5th Element. Even still he would mention that it firmed up too much when climbing (too much chain tension) and that it stiffened during braking as well. So for him to give high marks to the design of the suspension plus praise for the handling of the bikes is rare indeed. I am an avid MBA reader and while they never seem to give "bad" reviews if you read between the lines you can tell what bikes they really like and which ones they think are okay.

Needless to say that although I dont hang on his every word, he has ridden enough bikes to be a decent judge (It seems that the press seems to say that bikes now are for the most part all pretty good - but only a few are truly great) and for him to say that pedal feedback "is not noticeable on the Trance" and that while the rear end is "not completely active under braking, but it stays sufficiently uncoupled to take the edge off of bumps" Is pretty high praise indeed....

I guess that you are really gone have to sell that BLUR now Sherpa.... ;)

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
CDtofer said:
Thought I would start a new thread as the Trance and Reign available now is a bit long. Anyways there is a short review on MBA about the Trance and Reign -

http://mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=1123

Its written by R.C. and he gives the suspension very high praise. For those of you that dont read MBA regularly about the only bikes he does not find fault with are all either Intense, Ellworth or Titus. He also always argues for the fully active design of a 4-bar horst link bike with an SPV shock. (I guess you get to be picky when all you ride are 3000$+ superbikes)

To give you an idea he did not like the Blur until they started shipping it with the 5th Element. Even still he would mention that it firmed up too much when climbing (too much chain tension) and that it stiffened during braking as well. So for him to give high marks to the design of the suspension plus praise for the handling of the bikes is rare indeed. I am an avid MBA reader and while they never seem to give "bad" reviews if you read between the lines you can tell what bikes they really like and which ones they think are okay.

Needless to say that although I dont hang on his every word, he has ridden enough bikes to be a decent judge (It seems that the press seems to say that bikes now are for the most part all pretty good - but only a few are truly great) and for him to say that pedal feedback "is not noticeable on the Trance" and that while the rear end is "not completely active under braking, but it stays sufficiently uncoupled to take the edge off of bumps" Is pretty high praise indeed....

I guess that you are really gone have to sell that BLUR now Sherpa.... ;)
Just because Richard Cunningham said that stuff i am NOT getting a Trance. I don't believe one word from that douches mouth.

-TS

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont buy it because of RC

Hey I did not say go buy it because..... :rolleyes:

Dont buy a bike becuase of what any one particular person says or does'nt say. I was just puttin up the review and was surprised that MBA spoke so highly of both bikes as they usually have a bias towards boutique brands in general.

Just merely pointing out yet another source that gave a good review and in your case mentioned it since they pointed out there was little or no pedal feedback.

I hope you do go out and ride one yourself - as I said before I would really like to hear a first person comparison between the Trance and a Blur....

I cant ride / try either right now as I am living in Europe and have to rely on info from others until my situation changes. So I would love to hear from anyone that has had a chance to ride any of the new maestro line...thoughts, impressions the good and the bad

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
CDtofer said:
Hey I did not say go buy it because..... :rolleyes:

Dont buy a bike becuase of what any one particular person says or does'nt say. I was just puttin up the review and was surprised that MBA spoke so highly of both bikes as they usually have a bias towards boutique brands in general.

Just merely pointing out yet another source that gave a good review and in your case mentioned it since they pointed out there was little or no pedal feedback.

I hope you do go out and ride one yourself - as I said before I would really like to hear a first person comparison between the Trance and a Blur....

I cant ride / try either right now as I am living in Europe and have to rely on info from others until my situation changes. So I would love to hear from anyone that has had a chance to ride any of the new maestro line...thoughts, impressions the good and the bad
I'll be sure to ride one before i decide. No doubt.

-TS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Weight

We just got them in at our store, and i have to say, i'm quite disapointed, got the trance 4 built up and it weighed 33lb, thats just too heavy for a 4" travel bike with rim brakes. Does anybody have the actual wieght spec on the frame????

·
Registered
450 Posts
Crashtdp said:
We just got them in at our store, and i have to say, i'm quite disapointed, got the trance 4 built up and it weighed 33lb, thats just too heavy for a 4" travel bike with rim brakes. Does anybody have the actual wieght spec on the frame????
Is the frame heavy, or is just the parts that come on the Trance 4? I've got a trail bike that weighs 30-31lbs, and that's with discs....I'm amazed something that's supposed to be an XC bike would way that much, unless it's got really heavy components.

I wonder how much the Reign will weigh.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Warthog said:
Is the frame heavy, or is just the parts that come on the Trance 4? I've got a trail bike that weighs 30-31lbs, and that's with discs....I'm amazed something that's supposed to be an XC bike would way that much, unless it's got really heavy components.

The Trance 4 has an LX/Deore mix with entry level parts all over this thing, not the most gram conscience parts group available. I rode this bike with a few high end parts last weekend and it weighed significantly less that fully stock.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I still don't know, when we asked our rep about the weight he just avoided the question, and then when we badgered him, he seemed a little embarrased, and we still never got a honest answer out of him, when someone builds one up LITE, then i will bellieve, but untill then i will probably have to push kona a little bit more, sure its not a vpp linkage, but for a 6" front and rear that comes in under 36lb at 1599$, that is the 2005 coiler, its pretty hard to compare. But keep in mind, this is our first shipment of the new giants, but i have yet to be impressed.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Crashtdp,

I'd be grateful if you could post the weights of the other bikes in the Trance and Reign series. I was really interested in a Reign but I don't want a 34-35 lb. bike either.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Crashtdp said:
I still don't know, when we asked our rep about the weight he just avoided the question, and then when we badgered him, he seemed a little embarrased, and we still never got a honest answer out of him, when someone builds one up LITE, then i will bellieve, but untill then i will probably have to push kona a little bit more, sure its not a vpp linkage, but for a 6" front and rear that comes in under 36lb at 1599$, that is the 2005 coiler, its pretty hard to compare. But keep in mind, this is our first shipment of the new giants, but i have yet to be impressed.
I seem to notice that your not impressed with the parts/weight situation but have you actually ridden the bike? Like you said it is hard to compare a Kona to the Giant. They are not ment for the same use, but still a good deal . Our Rep told us flat out 24-26 lbs for the Trance 1.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Interesting...

TheSherpa said:
Just because Richard Cunningham said that stuff i am NOT getting a Trance. I don't believe one word from that douches mouth.

-TS
You don't believe RC, but you believe John Kerry. Hmmm....

Jaybo

·
Registered
184 Posts
You also forgot to mention RC loves giving Specialized lots of props especially the fsr line-up.

I've got my eye on a Reign 1!!! :D :p

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,208 Posts
I have no doubts....

That i will build a 26.5 lb Reign. I have held a frameset in my hands, (no scale), and I have to say it is not bad a-tall. I am guessing maybe in the 6 pound range. I will post photos as soon as I have her built up, (and recieved for that matter). I will be going maverick DUC 32, Stan's/WTB wheelset, XTR this, FSA that, easton the other...you get the Idea. More to come. I managed to build an AC with 6.3 rear, 6" front, at a dead even 27.5 pounds, with REAL tires, even. I will share as I can. These bikes absolutely rock, BTW.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have no doubt that if you started with a reign frame and had no limit on money that you could build a bike under 30lb, but i've never liked the feel of a feather weight long travel bike, the trance frame probably weighs at least 6 lbs if not more, i have no idea what to expect of the reign, but i guess i will find out as soon as they arive at my store.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Trance frame weight

If the Trance frame weighs 6 lbs or more, Giant has a problem. Four inch xc bikes need to have frames at 6 lbs and under, especially when they are using the very light RP 3 shock. Most of the competition is under 6lbs: Blur, FSR, etc. I hope the Trance is under 6 lbs, if it is more I may have to reconsider whether I will get one or not.

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sure this has been asked already but...

PLEASE, will someone anyone post the frame weight the next time they either A) get one in or B) break down a complete bike and rebuild it or C) get their hands on one in any form? The rest of us would be most appreciative... :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
rideit said:
.... I will be going maverick DUC 32, Stan's/WTB wheelset, XTR this, FSA that, easton the other...
I was thinkin bout puttin an SC32 on my NRS1. How do you figure this would compare with a TALAS or similar Fox product - FRLT 100? The price of the SC32 is really resonable compared to the Fox stuff (Canada gets screwed by Fox regularly).

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Warthog said:

My 21" Rainier weighs ~30lbs! And it's an XC HT :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts