Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to decrease my cockpit length, so i'm planning on buying a shorter stem. i have a 100mm kore lite stem on it now. are there any disadvantages of decreasing your cockpit size by shortening the stem length?

also

what are some good (and cheap) lightweight stems available?

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
jonwebah said:
i'm looking to decrease my cockpit length, so i'm planning on buying a shorter stem. i have a 100mm kore lite stem on it now. are there any disadvantages of decreasing your cockpit size by shortening the stem length?

also

what are some good (and cheap) lightweight stems available?
Your steering will feel different. It will steer quicker, while a longer stem softens the steering. 100mm is not that long of a stem, but there are shorter ones.

As far as cheap, lightweight stems, its hard to beat the Pazzaz, $16 at JensonUSA. My 120 mm weighed 147 grams, so a shorter one than 100 mm should be in the 130's. Its hard to beat at that price. Or you can pay the $70 for a Syntace F99 and get one 30-40 grams lighter than that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i actually just went out and measured my stem... turns out it's 120 mm so that changes things a bit. i might go for a 90 i think. i'm on the lower end of my bike's size spectrum, so i need that shorter cockpit.

·
Lightweight Ghost Rider
191 Posts
1 or 2 cm's does make quite a difference - try before buying... I'm in the process of setting up my roadbike and I'm swapping between 100, 110 and 120mm stems. You should be able to borrow a few different stems of your riding buddies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I never have been a fan of the longer top tube &

jonwebah said:
i actually just went out and measured my stem... turns out it's 120 mm so that changes things a bit. i might go for a 90 i think. i'm on the lower end of my bike's size spectrum, so i need that shorter cockpit.
short stem approach on a bike (road or mountain). In my experience that combination has made the front wheel flop especially when climbing on steep trails. That said however, 90 or 100mm is not exceptionally short by any means so go ahead and experment to find what is comfortable for you.

vtw

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I wouldnt jump that far IMO...

jonwebah said:
I say try a 110 or 105 with NO rise. And maybe a low rise bar if your not using one already..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bar i'm using is a kore lite riser with 1" rise. the stem that i'll be replacing is a kore lite (with two bolts on the faceplate, which is particularly hard to find in a mtb version online), and i can't figure out the rise on the stem itself. i guess i could always get the old protractor out.

so a 3 cm decrease in stem length might be a little drastic? maybe i'll just go with a 1 or 2 cm change. also i think that the stems i'm looking at generally have a smaller angle of rise, however i can't be sure because i don't know what the rise on my stem is.

how will having a stem with a lower rise affect the handling?

·
Registered
110 Posts
sorry if I'm stating the obvious but . . .

Have you tried moving your saddle forward?

This costs nothing and may well achieve what you are after.

It also will not change your steering.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i've fiddled with the saddle position, doesn't give me quite the results i want, and i don't like moving slightly over the cranks once i've got myself in a comfortable position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.