Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Household hardware Steel Plastic

I hope the picture worked...I have been having some trouble getting it to post. I was giving a DJ 3 fork and the steerer comes under the the top bolt of my stem. I do not have any spacers so that is as tall as it goes. Is that a problem? I'm able to make the stem tight but I don't want to pull the the thing off trying to jump a stair set.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
krindog44 said:
View attachment 594932

I hope the picture worked...I have been having some trouble getting it to post. I was giving a DJ 3 fork and the steerer comes under the the top bolt of my stem. I do not have any spacers so that is as tall as it goes. Is that a problem? I'm able to make the stem tight but I don't want to pull the the thing off trying to jump a stair set.
If the fork is an Italian made Marzocchi a new steer tube can be installed for about $80 directly from Marzocchi.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
That's not even close. And with what you want to do with the bike, there's just no way that's going to be safe.
Unfortunately a used DJ3 (I'm assuming it's used) really isn't worth trying to get a new steerer (or new uppers). Since you probably have a steel steerer, I'm sure there are some people that have successfully welded a combination of insert and extension to overcome this, but it's not recomended and I'm risking getting flamed for even mentioning it. Your best bet is to just look for another fork.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.