Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered short shocking the standard instinct? I currently run a BC edition but moved to a location that has a lot of pedaling and a new bike right now is out of the question.

I am considering purchasing a 210x50 dps shock and installing the lower pipeline spacer in the 130mm fork. I think this should be around 130mm of rear travel. What do you all think?

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone considered short shocking the standard instinct? I currently run a BC edition but moved to a location that has a lot of pedaling and a new bike right now is out of the question.

I am considering purchasing a 210x50 dps shock and installing the lower pipeline spacer in the 130mm fork. I think this should be around 130mm of rear travel. What do you all think?

Cheers
Why not just go down to the normal 140/140 like it was designed for?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the bike handles and climbs great in the 140 mode and going down 10mm in travel is really just going to steepen the head angle (which you can do with the ride9 already) and lower the already low BB which, if you live in a rocky area, would definitely give you a lot more pedal strikes. Not ideal.

I would say just run less sag so you don't lose as much pedaling efficiency first to see if that helps anything...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the bike handles and climbs great in the 140 mode and going down 10mm in travel is really just going to steepen the head angle (which you can do with the ride9 already) and lower the already low BB which, if you live in a rocky area, would definitely give you a lot more pedal strikes. Not ideal.

I would say just run less sag so you don't lose as much pedaling efficiency first to see if that helps anything...
It will have the same eye to eye, just a lower stroke so no effect on bb height. I plan to keep it in the steep position with the pipeline spacer under the headset to keep the BB higher. I will need to purchase a new shock & fork regardless if it is 210x 50/52.5/55mm stroke.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It will have the same eye to eye, just a lower stroke so no effect on bb height. I plan to keep it in the steep position with the pipeline spacer under the headset to keep the BB higher. I will need to purchase a new shock & fork regardless if it is 210x 50/52.5/55mm stroke.
Then definitely go with a dvo topaz. they make a spacer where you can change the shock from 210x50 - 210x55 so at least you have more options

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think there's much of a point in a 130mm fork with the pipeline spacer - you're effectively just running a 140mm form as intended but with less travel?

The rear at 127mm or so with some extra spacers is a topic that has fascinated me for a while. I'm strongly considering picking up a float X and running 140mm/127mm with an angleset in steep mode for a really tight but slack setup.

Edit: all metric shocks of the same eye to eye are the same. The float x and rockshox equivelent will have a similar spacer to the DVO, it's just harder to change for the average person.

It's official, I ordered a 140mm air spring for my 36 and a 210x50 Float X. I'll throw it on my Instinct when it arrives with the already existing -1.5 degree cane creek angleset. It'll be interesting to compare this to my Optic once it's running. Should be kinda similar!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's official, I ordered a 140mm air spring for my 36 and a 210x50 Float X. I'll throw it on my Instinct when it arrives with the already existing -1.5 degree cane creek angleset. It'll be interesting to compare this to my Optic once it's running. Should be kinda similar!
Interested to here how this setup went, especially with the shorter shock?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I unfortunately got a severe concussion (biking unrelated) two rides in to the setup. It was bad enough I was checked out for a few weeks - long enough for the snow to start flyin'.

At least she's pretty though:

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel rim

*note this is in BC edition mode right before the suspension swap!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.