Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a freakin difference. On g-out's and turn's the bike feels like a different rig. railing, no brakes on section I would use front brake only to pull me back inside. I never ripped my local so fast before. Lowered the BB about an inch and the more slacky front end feel stable at higher speeds. Only complaint is that it made the front end a little more heavy when pulling up or trying to wheelie. If you have a free and been thinking of doing this don't hesitate do it now. I was going to buy a DHR to race next season but screw that i'll wait for the 09 and race my free one more season.

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,751 Posts
jayjay05385 said:
SICK!!!
i`m going to do the same thing too~
but i`m concerning about the fork angle and the rear travel.
for sure that the BB height is much more lower than b4, but will the rear wheel bang into the saddle?
thanks guys~
Fork angle - you'll slacked it out about 1 degree. It could be too slack with an 8" fork, but some of them have pretty low stack heights, so it kind of depends on the exact fork.

If you run a 8.5 inch eye-to-eye and a 2.5 inch stroke, you'll lower the bottom bracket and reduce the travel by an equal amount, so on bottom-out your tire will be exactly where it was with stock set up. You won't buzz the seat, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been running a 8.5 shock in mine for a while now, the difference is amazing. Every time I see someone else with one, I let them have a go so they can see the difference. I run mine with 888s, flat crowns and its a much better race bike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gticlay said:
Sounds to me like you guys need to try running your bikes with more sag. I prefer a little more sag on the back and a little less on the front.
I was running it at 40% sag and the performance was not even close to where it is with the 8.5x2.5. Next week the dhx is going to Push inds. I'll post what that does to the bike.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
juice said:
I had the original setup sagged at 40%, and I'm still sagged about that much. Have you ever tried a DH/Freeride bike with a lower BB? High BBs are sooo 2001.
I'm suprised to hear you say that. I don't have one, but those VP-Free's sure look like fun.

·
Registered
293 Posts
gticlay said:
I'm suprised to hear you say that. I don't have one, but those VP-Free's sure look like fun.
They are a lot of fun, they float along great, but with the lower BB its cornering is transformed. I'm the same as the other guys, running around 35% sag before and after, always stuck to the ground well, just corners so much better now.
Looking forward to your report on the Push Ind. tuning. I had the Push race system on my GeminiDH and that was seriously impressive, so really considering it for the VP.
One other thing to consider is the geo compared to other race bikes. Measured the BB height of my bike and its still roughly 1.3" higher than a Sunday and as for the HA, well the Sunday and Commencal are quoted around 63deg, I'd be suprised if my VP is much under 65deg.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Another vote for the 8.5x2.5 shock on the Free.
I have been running the DHX coil for over a year and today will collect the DHX (just been Pushed). While the DHX was away I had the 5th Element back on for a week. I can say it pedals well with the 5th, but cornering and stability were lacking. I much prefer the shorter shock due to the lower BB and C of Gravity it provided.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think you should ignore the quoted travel and have a look at the quoted axle to crown measurements for the forks your inerested in and how they compare to what you currently have. Theres so much difference in some forks of the same travel its amazing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 2006 vp free, and just tonight put on an 8.5x2.5 roco world cup shock. at the same time I put on a marzocchi 55r fork with 160mm travel. the 55 is about an inch lower axle to crown than the 66 (180mm) that was on it with the 8.75x2.75 shock. road it around the street (in the snow) and it felt pretty good, we'll see how it handles on trail. my question is, have any of you guys put on an air shock with 8.5x2.5? heard some bad things about air shocks and the vp free, just curious.
thanks. View attachment 417234

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Pretty cool to hear such things in terms of geometry. Since the path of the rear wheel is highly divisive on whether a person would like the bike or not, I wonder what effect and what portion of the curve the shorter shock+sag puts it in and what those initial and dynamic characteristics might be of the new, abbreviated axle path.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.