Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I use short or long pins with my flat pedals? Is it personal preference and how much grip you want with your shoes? Im guessing longer pins will eat up shoes and shins faster

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
34,565 Posts
100% personal preference.

Yes, longer pins will chew up most shoes faster, but will also grip most shoes better. It will in part vary on the pedal, too. You may like longer pins on one pedal, but shorter ones on another, because the pedal shapes are different, and the arrangement of pins is different. You may like longer pins with one shoe, but shorter pins with another shoe, as well.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I just picked up some Stamp 7s after using OneUp composites for a while. The OnuUp's have long thin pins and the Stamp's shorter wider pins. I had issues readjusting my foot on the OneUp pedals. I think pedal grip is slightly over rated. I never slip off my pedals. I'm using Fiveten Freerider Pro shoes already which provide a ton of grip. Maybe the longer pins will help prevent getting bounced off? I don't have enough time on the Stamp's yet but no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much of a difference does 1mm vs 2mm of added length make? I have 1mm pin washers that i can use and go up 1mm at a tine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I find too long of pins and/or screws like the DMR Vaults have make me disconnected from the platform itself. I went through just a crap ton of pedals before I found the combo that felt the best. I would have never thought flats would be such a personal thing.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
If you have around 10 pins per side, 1mm longer pins - will make a big difference.

If you only have 7 pins per side, 1mm more will make a slight difference.

'Born to ride!'

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If you have around 10 pins per side, 1mm longer pins - will make a big difference.

If you only have 7 pins per side, 1mm more will make a slight difference.

'Born to ride!'
Got to disagree with you, more pins cause more float and less contact with your platform. Wider spaced and fewer pins will dig deeper into your shoes. A rudimentary visual is the bed of nails magician illusion. More nails equals more surface space to distribute your weight across.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...

10!!!

'Born to ride!'
A simple pressure illustration:

Leg Human body Wrist Elbow Shoulder

My contention is with your statement of 7 pins with a height increase of 1mm will have less of an impact on grip when the reverse is true. Less pins in a pedal will cause the sole of your shoe to deform more thus causing deeper penetration into its surface granting you more grip. If you flipped your 10 pins vs 7 pins arguement then what you said would be true. But thanks for sharing Sam Hill is all of his awesomeness.

P.S. I am glad you presumably still have all of your fingers:cool:

·
since 4/10/2009
34,565 Posts
A simple pressure illustration:

View attachment 1251814

My contention is with your statement of 7 pins with a height increase of 1mm will have less of an impact on grip when the reverse is true. Less pins in a pedal will cause the sole of your shoe to deform more thus causing deeper penetration into its surface granting you more grip. If you flipped your 10 pins vs 7 pins arguement then what you said would be true. But thanks for sharing Sam Hill is all of his awesomeness.

P.S. I am glad you presumably still have all of your fingers:cool:
While what you say is true, it's not the whole answer. Grip on a pedal isn't entirely about pin penetration into the shoe, but also requires consideration of the fore/aft grip and the side/side grip. Pin shape and pin arrangement also play roles. As in my DMR Vaults, the arrangement of the pins creates a bit of a concavity on an otherwise flat pedal body, which affects the fore/aft grip in particular. Other pedals do similar.

On my Vaults, I have extra pins that replace the stubby spindle pins which are short, but sharper splined pins. This also changes the surface area equation and would allow for more pin penetration into the shoe if I wanted more grip (more pins penetrating the shoe, as the stubby ones now do not really penetrate). The splines would also provide more fore/aft and side/side grip into the shoe as you might compare with a sharp, rounded, narrow pin shape.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.