Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any shorter types here ride a 29er? I'm 5'8" (5'9" w/ the hair) with a 30" inseam (well, that's the inseam size of my jeans anyway). I see that frame builders make 29er frames in my size, but I'm wondering if I would be giving up more agility switching to a 29er compared to a larger person (my roommate is 6'6", so I'm sure he could throw a 29er around like I can throw around a 20" BMX bike).

So, any shorter riders love their 29ers?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
I'm 5-9 w/ 30" inseam - Ten Days ago I bought the 15" RL MonoCog29er I own a BlurLT - It hasn't been off the stand in Ten days.

The RL is totally flickable - and to me feels agile like a BMX bike but the big wheels tones the twitchiness to a fun level.

$499 out the door - get one, love one, be one on one....

·
Bikeoholic
537 Posts
I'm around 5ft 9in

I'm about 5ft 9.5 in and I own 3 29ers... I try to stick with medium frames but I've been able to ride a large rig frame with a short stem.

In any case, I'd say jump on one, just make sure you check clearance for the boys...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm 5'9" apx 31 inseam and on a 17" Moncog... Feels just as good if not better than any 26 I have rode.
I rode the 15" MC before I purchased and my exact words were "it's like a bmx bike w/ big wheels" :thumbsup:

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
5'7" with hair, 30-31" inseam, 9.5 shoes ... love both my 29"ers. One is a 16" Karate Monkey, and the other is a custom Vulture with a 22.5" top tube. Both are awesome. The Vulture is the best handling mountain bike I've owned, and the Karate Monkey is a close second. Even short guys get the 29" benefits: rolling over objects better, being much more stable in rock gardens and around switchbacks, tracking straighter through sand and mud, better high speed stabilty.

The "29ers have slow handling" idea is a myth. If you get one with a decently short wheelbase (sorry, not a Fisher then) you'll find it handles just as fast as the typical 26" bike. 29"ers do handle differently: the increased gyroscope action can make them seem sluggish in the steering department the first time you ride them. But once you get used to doing more hip-steering and less hand-steering, you'll find it just as easy to repoint that gyroscope wherever you want to go, with lots more stability than a smaller wheel. Takes some getting used to, but once you adjust to the change you may not want to go back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm 5' 8.25409"

and Love my GF Paragon, the wife is 5'4" and can NOT get enough of her 15" Niner EMD. (completely changed her feelings on mountain biking, went from scared to shredding almost overnight). Thanks 29er !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another below average 29r rider

A small KM fits me great. I'm 5'7"/30" inseam and for me, the shorter top tube of the KM (22"ish) makes for a much quicker feeling bike compared to the 24" tt on the GF I used to have. The higher standover on the KM (compared to the GF) is a non-issue. It's all about the top tube. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
I'm a little under 5' 8", and I love my Dos Niner. I actually find it easier to corner and maneuver; I suspect the more stable feeling of the 29" platform gives me more confidence to push my limits in the tight spots.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.