Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Freerider
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks!

I'm still wondering - is there a place for short riders like me (165cm tall, 63kg weight) in the DH/FR world? I'm talking about the ability to make some big jumps and gaps and fast downhill tracks like the 'big' guys do. I know it all depends on the riding experience and practicing, but I still feel underrated to myself, because I'm shorter than all those guys I see on MTB movies.

I heard that Josh Bender is a freerider which is a short person too, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Maybe you know some pro-riders that are short like me?

·
Registered
153 Posts
im no pro rider, but there's a place in the DH FR world for everyone, granting you work your ass off and are ready to ball up and not Pu$$y foot around. sure you'll have to use a bit more technique vs. strength and you'll probably have to ride a bit different, but everyone has their own style. you think heigth is a problem look at that XC racer that is legally blind

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
I am a really tall rider over 200cm. I have thought about this before and how hight effects a riders ability.

What I think you will notice is that shorter riders rely more on power and taller riders rely more on finesse. I am not saying that a short rider cannot be smooth and that a tall rider cannot be powerful, I am only saying what I have seen.

Watch those videos again and try to spot how the hight of a rider effects their style. Like hucker1960 said, there is a place for everyone. You just have to keep riding and find your style.

For example, Brian Lopes... pretty short pedals a lot VS. Cedric Gracia fairly tall pumps a lot...

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
at 5'4" i dont think im that hindered by height when it comes to riding ability. when it comes to jumps and gaps...i dont think your height has anything to do with it.

technique is def different though. since i dont have the weight and leg strength to power through technical areas, i need to be more smooth and try to carry my speed better through obstacles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.