Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if running your chain on the short side (to minimize slop) can ever
cause derailers to break.
Especially upon impact off a drop.

My derailer split in two and went into my spokes without crashing.

My hanger may have been slightly bent, so I'm sure it contributed to the component carnage.

·
should know better.....
749 Posts
If you're running a very short chain, usually you'll notice it by changing into the biggest ring/cog combo, and the chain will pull your derailleur almost straight, and yank the wheel tight into the dropouts. It could break the derailleur clean off, but it won't/shouldn't go into the spokes, there just is not enough slack if it's that tight.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Never had a problem in the 3 years I've run two rings up front and a 10-34T in back. I have my chain length short enough to where I can't be in by big ring up front with either of my first two biggest cogs in back. I never use front and back big rings so it's never an issue. I'm sure if I switched into those gears it would pull on my rear derailer and screw some stuff up, but, never had a problem as long as I know not to go into those gears.

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Man! you caught that too fast... I've been buiding wicked sweet trail before work living on 3-4 hrs of sleep....some details escape me from time to time. Looks like it's time to siesta...

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
If you want to run the chain really short make sure to check it with the suspension fully compressed so you don't have a nasty surprise waiting for you.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
concern

kenbentit said:
If you want to run the chain really short make sure to check it with the suspension fully compressed so you don't have a nasty surprise waiting for you.
this is what concerns me.
However, I have no problem running through all the gears (2 ring set up).
I guess we'll see tomorrow....I'll make sure I bring a few spare links if I need to lengthen it.

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
freeriderB said:
this is what concerns me.
However, I have no problem running through all the gears (2 ring set up).
I guess we'll see tomorrow....I'll make sure I bring a few spare links if I need to lengthen it.
Take your spring off of your rear shock and cycle through the suspension. If you can bottom the shock and the chain doesn't bind or break anything off then you should be fine on the trail as well.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
At the moment I have my chain a smidgen too short, (1X9 set up) if I have it on the big cog on the cassette, and I hit something big, the chain growth due to suspension movement binds the chain near where the suspension bottoms out... shift it one down and its all good... lucky for me (and my chain) I never hit anything in 32-34 mode... :thumbsup:

Other then that having the chain that short is good for me and my bike is at least 15g lighter. :p

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
yes it can rip your derailler off and into the spokes

best way to set up shorter chain.....take off shock.....compress all travel through bike...set chain length then

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.