Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a dumb question on cage lengths and compatibility. First question is can I run a short cage with a 11-32 cass. and a 22/36 chainring combo in the front. My first of many questions is can I run a short cage in the rear without issues and can I cross-chain completely without ripping the der. clean off? I know it is bad for the drivetrain to cross the chain and I don't plan on it often but just in case I do will the short cage be able to handle it? If not I guess I'm going with a mid cage. This is also going on an 8.5" travel suspension frame if it matters. The other question is if a 2006 x.9 der cage will fit an 2006 or 2007 x.0 der? I know this is weird but if that carbon x.0 cage goes I have a couple of x.9 cages to sacrifice. any help would be great, thanks

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
um. yea. good question about the cage fitting ....
i shattered the plastic cage of a short cage 07 X.9 derailleur on my first ride :madman:

i'm still puzzled as to why that part is made out of plastic :confused:
how much weight are you really saving?

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
1) No. I'd be leery of even running a mid-cage in that situation. can't find SRAM's info, but shimano definitely does not recommend running a mid-cage with a 36/22. toss in chain growth and you will probably either rip your derailleur off or have way too much chain.

2) no clue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the short cage sram can handle a 34t in the rear. its body is longer to accommodate the short cage. i've been running that setup now for months

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I've been wondering what the deal is with sram calling this new one a "supershort" derailleur... is there still just a regular "short"?? or are they the same thing?

and blender, what "blew up" your cage? did you run it ashore on some rocks or were you just running too little chain length and you bottomed your suspension?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.