Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5ft 8inch, have ridgid gf marlin mid 90s, looking to upgrade to either new fisher 29, surly km, or superlight any input much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The Superlight is a great bike. Personally, I'm not sold on 29" bikes. I can see it if you're a taller rider that stays away from tight singletrack and aggressive riding, but if you're hard on wheels or like a tight-handling bike there is no real reason for 29" wheels. Especially if you're under 6' tall.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
It depends on what you like to do with the bike ... here in the UK tyres for off road 29ers are quite difficult to get and less choice ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would say that it depends on what kind of riding you want to do and how much experience you have. Don't get a bike that is "too much bike" when you would not be able to use the bikes full potential.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I moved from a late 90s full squish Fisher Joshua X1 to a full rigid Surly Karate Monkey this year. I haven't hit anything really rocky or rough with it yet as it's snow and gravel road riding time around here right now. For the trails that I ride on here in Central Iowa, it's been good switch. I've found that the 29" wheels make getting over obstacles easier (for me and my limited skills), and that the bike is great on flowy single track. I definitely like the power transfer that I'm getting now as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts