Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 8 months or so of riding my Specialized Stumpjumper modified mutant, I've decided that it's really going to cut the mustard for me in the long term. I have hunger for big fat meaty tires and this frame just isn't cutting it for me. In the meantime I'd gotten distracted with dreams of 29ers and cyclocross builds. Last night I realized that I really need to 'get my house in order' before I start ADDING to my collection of rides.

So I'm going to start considering my options and start shopping around for a dedicated singlespeed frame. No more tensioners, no more relying on lucky magic gears. Horses for courses, that's it.

I'd like to keep it in the 26" wheeled family for now so that I don't have to give up this wheelset that I'm pretty happy with, but more importantly I don't have to go splashing down cash for a whole 29" new wheelset.

Some of the usual suspects come to mind:
- On One Inbred
- Surly 1x1
- Kona Explosif or Unit frame

As you can see, steel is the common denominator here. I'm going to miss the featherweight Stumpjumper, but I'm pretty sure I wanna work with steel. I'm pretty sure that the Inbred will take fat tires. How fat can my rubber go with the 1x1, the Explosif or the Unit? Are the Explosif or the Unit essentially the same frame? I had thought about that Zion EBB frame, given its economical price point, but seeing as I'm not going to be able to squeeze anything more than a 2.2 or 2.3 into the rear, it's shame I'm going to have to rule that out.

One thought was to buy a 1x1 frameset and perhaps sell off the fork to help reduce the cost (I have a Kone Project 2 fork that I adore and plan to keep using). With the Inbred, I'd go for a white or tank green frame (I really, really don't like that gold frame).

Does anyone have any other suggestions to share? From my list of options so far, you can tell what sort of price range I'm playing with, so any form of custom build isn't going to cut it, I'm afraid. By the same token, if anyone's got a frame they're looking to relieve themselves of, feel free to drop me a line. I'm a short guy, so small-sized frames are what I can use.

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
Stumpy to 1x1 transition

My experience:

I recently moved from a SStumpy with ENO hub and Duke fork to a fully rigid 1x1. The ride is totally different. For one thing the handling is much more precise and for another steel feels way different on the rear end. I didn't start feeling totally comfortable on the 1x1 until I put some fat UST tires on and upgraded the cranks to 180mm ENOs = basically a fully SS compliant build. Now I have trouble riding any other bike cos I'm so dialed into the 1x1.

YMMV

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have two of the frames mentioned. The 1x1 with a rigid fork and the Explosif with the P2 rigid fork!

Explosif Pros
1. Sliding dropouts(if you will be running discs, this is the way to do it). Set that caliper up once and forget about it!
2. Not really having to do with the frame, but the p2 fork is much more forgiving then the 1x1 fork.
3. It is steel.
4. It is a Kona.

Explosif cons
1. Rear brake studs are not removable.
2. Tire clearance though still plenty is not near what the Surly has.
3. Does not come with the rigid Fork

1x1 pros
1. Comes as frame and fork.
2. Has huge tire clearance
3. Brake studs are removable if you plan on running discs.
4. It is steel
5. It is a Surly

1x1 cons
1. rear disc brake mount is very fidgity if you like to change gear ratios though mine is an earlier model with no disc mount.

I would say to seriously look at both of these options and pick the one that has the best geometry for you and your riding style/fork choice! Price-wise, even if you have to buy the P2 fork they are not real far off from each other. As far as quality, I would say the Kona welds are a little nicer, but I really don't care about that sort of thing anyway.

FYI- A quick google search came up with this! 1x1 frame and fork is around $430 at aebike.com. Kona Explosif frame $399(bikeman)/P2 fork$50(bikeco)

I have also ordered some stuff from On One and they have a quality operation going on there. Wouldn't hesitate in buying one of their frames either. Word on the street is that they have a sliding dropout bike in the works.

Hope this helps.

I know I posted the Kona before, but here it is again and the Surly too.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
I'd like to keep it in the 26" wheeled family for now so that I don't have to give up this wheelset that I'm pretty happy with, but more importantly I don't have to go splashing down cash for a whole 29" new wheelset.

S.
Hmmmm. You've been throwing your weight around the 29'er forum a lot lately, and now this? What happened, man?

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, fellas. I really appreciate it. The Surly seems like a no-brainer, it seems. Space for big fat tires. I can sell the fork, use my Kona P2 and be on my merry way. The only thing is that QBP seem to be out of size 16" at the mo, and Spicer's catalog seems to have the most competitive price.

The Kona models would be great, but they are a fair bit more expensive than either the Inbred or the 1x1, I think. Glad to hear that 2.35 tires fit - I can't imagine trying to squeeze in anything larger than a 2.5 tire (I personally feel that anything larger than that is a bit of overkill). Great match for the fork, though.

What I probably need to do is get a quote on an Inbred from Dave at Redstone Cyclery. Dave, here I come!

I've had a passing glance at the IRO Mia as well, and I like the fact that they're from Staten Island and supporting a 'local' make would be nice.

At the end of the day, I'm looking for an affordable steel frame that'll take fat tires, and can take both V- and disc-brakes (in case I go to disc brakes in the future). An accompanying fork is so not a factor at this point.

AteMrYeats said:
Hmmmm. You've been throwing your weight around the 29'er forum a lot lately, and now this? What happened, man?
Uhm, I'm not sure what you actually mean by 'throwing your weight around' - could you be referring to some of the contentious discussions there? In any case, like I'd mentioned in my first post, I'd been lusting after a big wheeled ride for a while now, but lately my rides on my Specialized mutant haven't been cutting it for me, and so I've decided that before I move start ADDING to my number of bikes, I probably should get what I already have in order first. I'd rather have a few solid bikes than a whole slew of half-baked ones.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, a bit more homework over the weekend. No easy answers, it would seem.

The On-One Inbred frame I have in mind is v-brake only, so while it fits the need in the near-term, I'm a bit concerned that my options might become limited in the long-term. The Kona Unit/Explosif frames are easily the most expensive of the lot, why I'm not sure, maybe it's the Kona name? Or perhaps it's the premium you pay for their sliding dropout design?

The Surly 1x1 makes a ton of sense right now, as I should be able to offset some of the cost via the sale of the fork. Problem is, I think I need a 16" frame and QBP seem all but out of them at the mo. I've e-mailed Surly to ask about when more frames might become available.

It appears that the IRO Mia comes with adjustable rear brake bosses, as well as disc tabs, making it easily the single most versatile frame I have seen yet. Not sure about the room in the rear for tires, but perhaps Mattman can help shed some light on that end.

Attachments

·
wheeler
595 Posts
SW, here's a shot of my new MIA's seatstays... nothing but disc tabs :cool: :cool:

not sure if Tony still offers the MIA with the brake bosses :rolleyes:

and here's a shot of a 2.7" tire stuffed in the back... lot'sa room ...

can't go wrong with IRO ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.