Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AZ'ers,

Figured this might be the best place to make this kind of request...

I'm trying to find a great/reputable/awesome customer service/etc. shop in the Marana/Tucson area for my dad to use. We're in MI, but he's moving to Marana (NW of Tucson) and wants to ship his bike out there in September. He rides a recumbent that may require a fair bit of teardown to be shipped (big bike). He's no bike mechanic, so I told him I'd try to hook him up with a shop that could take care of things for him. The plan would be for me to tear the bike down and ship it directly to the shop, have them reassemble it, then he'd pick it up. Can you guys recommend any fine shops in the area that might fit the bill? You know, someplace that you'd have no qualms about using yourself (or sending your dad to!) in a similar situation?

Any info/recommendations would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

-tw-

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
-tw- said:
Hello AZ'ers,

Figured this might be the best place to make this kind of request...

I'm trying to find a great/reputable/awesome customer service/etc. shop in the Marana/Tucson area for my dad to use. We're in MI, but he's moving to Marana (NW of Tucson) and wants to ship his bike out there in September. He rides a recumbent that may require a fair bit of teardown to be shipped (big bike). He's no bike mechanic, so I told him I'd try to hook him up with a shop that could take care of things for him. The plan would be for me to tear the bike down and ship it directly to the shop, have them reassemble it, then he'd pick it up. Can you guys recommend any fine shops in the area that might fit the bill? You know, someplace that you'd have no qualms about using yourself (or sending your dad to!) in a similar situation?

Any info/recommendations would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

-tw-
Perhaps some others with more current experience can chime in, but when I was a roadie racer as a U of A Wildspoke, most of us swore by Broadway Bicycles. Fair Wheel was also on the top of our list. Both are in Tucson, which is a bit of a drive from Marana, but not too long. I suspect both of these shops, if they still exist, are still great. One coveat - I have not been in either shop since 1993.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
fair wheel still tops my list.
oro valley bikes will be much closer but i can't comment on them as i've never been in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ajo Bikes

They're not in Marana, but it's only a 20 - 30 minute drive, all freeway. Ajo Bikes is just off I-10, just east of the center of town (I think it's the Kino Parkway exit, but I get there from Ajo) and they specialize in 'bents. I've always had great dealings with them, even though I seldom buy any big ticket items from them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I should have mentioned that my dad certainly won't mind driving a bit to reach a good shop, so traveling to Tucson is no prob at all (we figured as much, anyway). I think the nod is going to go to Ajo Bikes, since they are a 'bent specialty shop. My dad will love the place, since he was hoping to find a good 'bent shop out there, anyway. Having one so close will be a major bonus for him.

Thanks again for your replies.

-tw-

·
I bike, I brew
190 Posts
There are a couple of reputable shops in Marana that are *much* closer than driving anywhere into Tucson. Oro Valley Bicycles is in a little plaza on the NE corner of Ina and Shannon. My personal choice - if they don't have something, they can get it. Good service, good support - they know what they're talking about for both roadies and mtbr's (not just a roadie shop that sells mtn bikes). This is their 2nd shop - the primary location is indeed in Oro Valley/Rancho Vistoso.

Another shop in the same area is R&R, in a larger shopping plaza on the SE corner of Ina and Thornydale. A bit bigger of a shop...

Again, both of these are within the Marana Town Limits, and certainly make it unnecessary to trek into the morass of Tucson traffic.

Hank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.