Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new (1966) mill is up and running with some tooling I made on it, with it, for it. I think shop pics are cool, and it is amazing to me that I used to braze file-mitered frames in an apartment bathroom because I had no shop and the bathroom had a vent fan. Personally I really dig everything about building bikes, the end product must reap the benefits of everything you can focus on farther upstream. I think about design, joining methods, cutting tubes, alignment, tool building, and really enjoy all of the aspects respectively. Lets see some pics, from simple to uber complex. The weird elevator symbol is to protect the innnocent.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Nice. I love shop pics too. Been looking for a vert mill for years.. ugh.

Is that CAT 40 tooling? That's what I would like.. already have some for the horiz.

-Schmitty-

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don't really have any DIY tooling pictures to show. I did pick up a vertical head for my mill this week that I'm excited about. I don't think it will part the sea for me, but I'm sure it will come in handy in the future. Plus I don't have the room for a full size vertical mill in my garage.

The one thing that's been on the burner to to make a base for my bender. I wanted something that I could bolt on and off of my welding table. I ran into some issues and it's not complete. I expect to get back to it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ah the Nichols vert head! Have one myself that I have yet to use. Do you have a newer mill with the high speed bearings and/or a vfd?

-Schmitty-

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ah the Nichols vert head! Have one myself that I have yet to use. Do you have a newer mill with the high speed bearings and/or a vfd?

To be honest I don't know if it has the high speed bearings or not. How do you tell the difference? I have two of these mills, one's older and doesn't have the ring to support the vertical head. The other one does, it also appears to take a different belt as well. The older of the two is up and running via a rotary phase converter.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Neither are needed, but with the older mills, you'll end up with 2 speeds that are not that great (the vert head can only be run at a certain % of max.. forget the exact#). So either a vfd, or a newer machine with the high speed bearings, and it's greater belt drive combos would really make the vert head more useful. The old machines have 2 step pulleys, while the newer ones are 4 or 5 step. A vfd negates the # of steps for the most part. The high speed bearings have oilers as opposed to grease zerks, and the data plate should say as much.

-Schmitty-

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yup, you're golden. You could still use a vfd and be better off for it.

Check into the vert head... not to be used at top speed, which is too bad, b/c it would be nice for Al. Maybe it's a warning not to be headed, or only applicable to heavy use industrial enviorns.

If I was you, I'd set up the older machine for mitering, and the newer one for the vert head, and what ever else.

-Schmitty-

·
Registered
119 Posts
I still need to get some nice shots taken by someone that actualy knows how to use a camera. But here some of mine (ain't much butt all paid for):

The workshop in its current set up and current state of mess.

My restored Myford ML7. I love that thing!!

The old set up. Fork jig and tandem attachment for my Bikemachinery jig.

More pictures on my Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/lecadre/)
And Blog (https://lecadreframebuilding.blogspot.com/)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Rad thread! Here's a picture of half of my parents' garage which I converted from a cluttered storage vault to a hobby fabrication shop about 4 yrs ago. Many of the tools were passed down from my Dad and Grandpa, and I supplied the welder, band saw, press, bender, and many other tools since this picture was taken.

Next are mill shots. I bought it about 5 months ago. Rented the trailer from a local guy, and it's totally bad ass and pivots in the middle, but it was a very scary drive home. Had to go through some concrete highways in Pasadena which go cu-clunk cu-clunk as you pass the seems in the concrete which is something you don't normally notice, but 55-60 mph caused a resonance of the traler/mill combo and the thing was coming off the ground and bucking like a mechanical bull ...terrifying, pulled over about 10 times to check the chains, and they were loose more than once. I really wanted to press control-z on the journey, but I was in too deep so kept going. Got it home with no mis-haps and after 4 full days of dis-assembly, gas soaking, skotch briting and oiling she emerged as a particularly beautiful mill, at least in my opinion.

Next are some material rack shots, made those a couple months ago. Not really bike specific but I think a nice peice of shop furniture. Great to finally stop tripping over peices of tubing.

Then finally some custom jiggage. The first is a homemade fork jig, only top precision in this garage! don't worry I haven't charged money for anything that's come out of it. Next is a single pivot swingarm jig that my friend made for a school project. It lives in the garage now and shown loaded with my day to day trail bike back half.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
After the reorg.

Just finished reorganizing the indoor shop. Now got to get the garage in shape. Getting the itch to build a new frame for the coming season!
Room Interior design Ceiling Shelving Shelf

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
coconinocycles said:
this made my life so much easier........
Steve, what is the thinnest wall tubing you have been able to bend, what diameters? How small a radius?

I have a idea that would need several hoops (complete circles) of 1/2" or 5/8" tubing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts