Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wondering if anyone here has taken their bikes for a tune up at either Sports Authority, Reed's, or Suns (Sons?) Bike Shop... these 3 are the closest to me and wondering if anyone had experiences with these shops?? thanks!

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Yes on Reed's.
Jesse is a decent mechanic. He actually rides. I say this because I've met several bike shop employees that ride doughnut machines, but not bikes.

~ Rex

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sun

I think you are talking about Sun Bike Shop on Landess and Morrill in Milpitas. I have heard nothing but good things about them. They are too far for me so I haven't personally used them. I have a friend, Ryan, from Boulder Creek, who occasionally will drive all the way to Sun for good service and a fair deal. He is a pretty decent mechanic himself (actually makes a living doing it) so I guess that says something about Sun's expertise.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've been to Sun Bikes. They have a great selection and great prices on high end stuff and they seem very personable. Don't know about repairs, but one of my favorite shops in SJ. I bought a Thomson Elight seatpost from them for 75 bucks, everywhere else they go for 90. :thumbsup: Check it out mang!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Not to be an A** but buy a decent bike repair book and give it a go yourself, or search for the repair on the Internet, etc. I learned to do it just because I didn't want to be without my bike while it was in the shop, plus it's just inconvenient during a busy life, dropping off, picking up, it sucks. A basic tune is easy, and buying a few basic tools pays off quick! often you can improvise with what you have already.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rex_Skidmore said:
I actually thought you were kidding about Sports Authority. Isn't this the company that abosorbed SportMart? If so, pass.
Yeah, I am taking it to Sun's tomorrow to have them check it out...

TahoeBC said:
Not to be an A** but buy a decent bike repair book and give it a go yourself, or search for the repair on the Internet, etc. I learned to do it just because I didn't want to be without my bike while it was in the shop, plus it's just inconvenient during a busy life, dropping off, picking up, it sucks. A basic tune is easy, and buying a few basic tools pays off quick! often you can improvise with what you have already.
I can see where you are coming from, but bikes are still relatively new to me and I'll take it for its first tune up to the shop then when I find time I will look into books and everything (been reading up online, but just not getting it), so for now I will take it to the shop...

thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
663 Posts
boostaddctn said:

If you can diagnose a specific issue you can save money. If you tell them you need a complete tune up it could cost you 75 bucks. But if you tell them (for instance) your rear derailleur need an adjustment, it would cost much less.

What issue/issues are you having?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Sun is my LBS.. Any bike that I didnt buy from ebay has come from sun. Great people and great mechanics. talk to mike, or the other asian guy, but avoid the mexican guy like the plague if you are looking for usefull information. I use them to tune my road bike, and I do most of the work on the mtn bike myself. the marked prices are high (normal LBS prices), but the more you buy and get to know them, the better the pricing gets.

Heard good things about jesse at reeds too, but have only gone there once to swap a headset.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chucke said:
boostaddctn said:

If you can diagnose a specific issue you can save money. If you tell them you need a complete tune up it could cost you 75 bucks. But if you tell them (for instance) your rear deraileur need an adjustment, it would cost much less.

What issue/issues are you having?
I just picked up the bike off of CL and I just want everything checked over and adjusted, just to play it on the safe side...cause so far, it shifts pretty sloppy and the brakes arn't what I want it to be at...

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
In my experience..

Zonic Man said:
Why does riding have anything to do with an ability to fix bikes?
Mechanics that ride dont rely on a bike stand to tell them whether a bike is working correctly or not. They know what works and what doesnt based on experience. Theyre also easier to explain things to because they know...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here here for Sun's Bike Shop. I've been a regulare for many years and they have always taken care of me. And I see that is true for everyone who is a customer there. Mike is the manager and he's a great guy. Sun is the owner and a great mechanic. And if it amtters, they both ride. Mike just won a recent 24 hour enduro :D Anyways, of all the local bike shops, i've been coming back to Sun's because they treat you right and give you a fair price. Not to sound like an infomircial for them...but they really have earned a lot of loyal customers simply because they are good people.

If it helps, tell Mike Christian the Rocky Mountain freak sent you :D

I would also normally recommend the drive to Trailhead Cyclery on Camden and Union, but their staff as of late has been a bit slacking imho. It was much different when Lars was always around. Now Lars is a great guy. But it seems he's not around as much. I used to get great service in the past but now it's just so-so, and in a lot of cases their prices are the highest amongst all the shops. They have super high labor rates too. My last visit made me wish I went to Sun's, but unfortunately I was not in the area at the time and needed a replacement part immediately. But I have to hand it to Trailhead...they have some of the highest end parts in the area in stock...lots of eye candy!

I like Reeds a lot. They are cool guys, and they have a decent selection of stuff. But despite their store being way bigger, Sun's just packs in way more quality parts and bikes. So it depends on what you want. Sun's is a bit towards the higher end spectrum, wheras Reeds has a bit of the high-end, but a lot of the mid to low-end. They have a lot of older parts still in stock too, so if you are looking for something obscue, they may just have it. As far as service, I have brought in my bikes a few times, but on several occasions they said they didn't have the tools. I wa slike what? For example, a few weeks ago I needed to tap in a star nit on my new fork, but the mechanic said he didn't have the tool to tap it in. Wow! But they are certainly nice guys. I saw them helping a lady and her son and I was like right on, that's how I would want someone to help my own mom.

If you want a relatively in-expensive place to take your bike for adjustment/repair, you can bring it to Fast Bicycle on Alum Rock and Jackson. They have the cheapest labor rates and can usually fix your bike on the spot of at least withing a few hours if you are in a bind. They have an ok selection of MTB stuff, but tons of BMX. But their mechanic can sometimes work too fast and may not do a 100% good job, so always inspect the work before leaving.

Hope this helps!

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Zonic Man said:
Why does riding have anything to do with an ability to fix bikes?
It's an issue centered purely on experience. At a time when society places immense value on youth, my "computer guy" is the only expert I pay that is younger than myself. And, he's Indian. When I say "Indian" I mean slurpee, not teepee. I follow my own set of rules about who I hire. My accountant isn't broke; My dentist has great teeth; My divorce attorney isn't married anymore. Comprendez vous?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.