Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to manage a shop in downtown Tacoma, aptly named Tacoma Bicycle.
I sorely miss the days of working in a shop. I now run my own shop in my house, much like King's cyclery did for a long time. I love it, but after working the repair station @ STP this weekend, I am considering a move back to the career I started with.

I have been USCF certifed as a race mechanic, I ran the shop in tacoma for 4.5 years, have worked full time in the industry from september of 1994 until march of 2001, having worked part-time at another shop in the area since 2001.
My question is this-
With these credentials, (obviously not specific)what kind of average pay/benefits can I expect to make in the seattle/tacoma/oly job market? I was paid $12 an hour when we closed the shop in March 2001 due to the light rail construction project, and some other limiting factors, and had recieved routine raises during my employment at the shop. If you're not comfortable discussing your salary (or lack of) on the forum, feel free to drop me an e-mail to [email protected]. I'd like to get an idea of my income potential, and the potential arse pain I would feel in my lifestyle if I were to go back from my current job.

Thanks for your inputs,
Jeff Evans

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jeff, We never met and I never got over to that store, but I am in much the same boat, after 10years away, I am now riding again and have thought a few times about re-entering the shop scene. You have more creds than I do/did, but I would be interested in seeing what the concensus is as well. I worked all the Angle lake shops as a Mechanic over a 5-6 year period and wrenched in CA for many years before that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts