Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
2,639 Posts
I buy parts from Ebay all the time and have never really had a problem. As said, there are plenty of reputable, legit shops/sellers that will ship fast and usually offer the best price. I find it easier and faster to get parts from Ebay vs other bike retail sites.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Does rockshox have an official store on ebay?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I like ebay for ultra-cheap stuff. If you order from a China seller, you can get a pair of lock-on grips for $5. Or get a bunch of headset spacers for cheap. You have to wait a month or so, but if you're not in a hurry, it's fine.

Tools: I got a magnetic cable routing kit for around $10, you can get a shock bearing press for about the same. One tool I got that is lousy is a derailleur hanger tool. Mine is the aluminum machined "ZTTO".

Buying carbon stuff off of ebay seems like the biggest risk to me... too much counterfeit junk out there. I wouldn't be as afraid of a cheap alloy stem or handlebar, maybe I should be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've prob bought a couple hundred things off the flea over the years, never had a problem. Also know a couple guys that seem to have a knack for finding bad deals. They get hooked on a low.price and bid on obvious garbage I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

Haven't bought much in recent years. Don't know what happened but it used to be great for all kinds of unique hard to find stuff. Now seems like it's mostly new stuff. Kind of like flea markets used to be like big garage sales, now they're mostly filled with people trying to peddle cheap new crap

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've prob bought a couple hundred things off the flea over the years, never had a problem. Also know a couple guys that seem to have a knack for finding bad deals. They get hooked on a low price and bid on obvious garbage I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

Haven't bought much in recent years. Don't know what happened but it used to be great for all kinds of unique hard to find stuff. Now seems like it's mostly new stuff. Kind of like flea markets used to be like big garage sales, now they're mostly filled with people trying to peddle cheap new crap
I know, I found cool and unique things there. I bought used things on Ebay that I couldn't afford when they were new.

I understand that Ebay fees went up to the point where smaller sellers couldn't compete. Now larger Ebay sellers use the "Big Box" model: smaller margin, large volume. Remember the large retailer that only made a few cents a jar of pickles but sold 80 jars per week in most all 3000 of their stores?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does rockshox have an official store on ebay?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I don't think so, but there are some legitimate bike stores that sell rockshox components. They are not importing rockshox on the grey market and selling, but have accounts and sell their gear via ebay instead of a brick and mortar store.

I have brought and sold a stupid number of thing on ebay. Read the description, look at the pictures carefully. Know what you are buying. Ask questions. Also pay with PayPal and you have fantastic buyer protection. Item damaged in transit, full refund. Item not delivered, full refund. If you don't like the item and the seller offers a return, PayPal will pay for the return freight up to $30 usd. You can do this 8 times per year.

You can also find the occasional super bargain if you are patient. People will occasionally sell items for a fraction of their worth, but you have to be quick, because those items don't last.

Good luck.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts