Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was volunteering at the festival yesterday. But I have many friends who were there during the shooting. I don't know if it's common knowledge but most of the place (gourmet alley and drinks/beer) is staffed by volunteers who do that so that their non-profit organization get a cut of the profit from the festival. So other than the vendors booth, its 100% benefit non-profit going from school, sports organization, churches, etc. Why does someone do something like this? It's all about food, family and fun. I'm still in shock...

·
Registered
my hair crawled away
540 Posts
easy to get guns in the usa that is probably why usa is #1. thank goodness that the killers did not have automatic weapons with tons of ammo with the intent of killing as many people as possible, probably a targeted person.

Been getting used to killers like the Nevada killer who perched from his room and just let loose, or the school aged children that took guns to school to kill as many children as possible or the fellow back east who walked into a church and started killing random people, in Colorado another fellow walked into a theater and let loose.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Meh, 3 people killed. Does not even deserve mention.

And yes, I am being sarcastic.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Before some gun "enthusiast" states we need more guns / CCWs:

"Officers were already at the site and responded to the shooting in less than a minute, Chief Smithee added."
Gun control laws work everywhere else in the world, mostly because they are country-wide not just per state. We need to do something about the glut of initially legally purchased guns that are now an easy black market:

• We need to have laws that prevent mass purchases to eliminate new guns flooding the street and they need to be federal, not state to prevent the run across state line scenario.
  • All existing gun owners must register all possessed guns or surrender via amnesty within a defined grace period.
  • All gun owners / prospective gun owners must go through initial and periodic mental health evaluation.
  • All gun owners must carry insurance on each gun.
  • No fly, domestic abuse convictions, work place threats all legally earn you a prohibition of gun ownership until court approved.
  • We need to ban any gun that is not a manual physical action reload aka it must be bolt action, pump, or manual hammer cock and limit round capacity. Give people time to react, respond and slow the shooter down. This does nothing for target shooting, hunting, or other legitimate gun uses.
  • Then we offer amnesty turn-ins for 6-months for assault / semi-automatic guns / 1 year for all guns if the owners either don't want to comply or have accumulated throughout the years.
  • Strictly enforce all gun laws

^- Would work. We are just too chicken crap to do it and the NRA is too deeply into our politicians, particularly Republicans, pockets.

Oh, and by the way, I am a legal gun owner as well.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Pretty obvious what the thread was about. Why did you even click on it?

I don't hear you bitching about the Taco thread, or what someone made for dinner...
This site really has jumped the shark. Honestly - the best thing to happen to MTBR.com if more political rants. Lots of guys with not much to do other than complain or discuss anything just for a click and a response. There, you won.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Sad, I was planning on going yesterday since I’m obsessed with garlic but I wilt in the heat. Condolences, I wish that caught these scumbags alive.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
a 6 year old was a victim. A 6 year old.
Sandy Hook involved the slaughter of 26 six year old kids. And we have done nothing. 40% of Americans actually believe Sandy Hook never happened.

Picture this kid after 16 bullets ripped through her body:

Cheek Mouth Fun Hairstyle Eye

Her name was Allison Wyatt and she was 6 years old. She was shot 10+ times. And we forgot and move on to the next stupid thing...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Was considering going yesterday with my wife, 2 young kids and my parents. Ended up spending the day doing something else. Just crazy these days that going to community events like this are increasing the risk of your life being threatened.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
This is terrible, we'll need to know more to figure out if any laws could've prevented this tragedy. One problem is many of the above ideas, while well intentioned, wouldn't be constitutional. This is not New Zealand, which by the way has very little compliance with their new laws. Evil people will use any means to commit evil acts -- see what a guy did with a little gas in Japan.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
This is terrible, we'll need to know more to figure out if any laws could've prevented this tragedy. One problem is many of the above ideas, while well intentioned, wouldn't be constitutional. This is not New Zealand, which by the way has very little compliance with their new laws. Evil people will use any means to commit evil acts -- see what a guy did with a little gas in Japan.
The exact second amendment language:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
- Well regulated - Clearly sets expectation of laws
- necessary to the security of a free state - Necessary - clearly not unlimited. Security - implies, especially in conjunction with the first portion, a government driven (State - capitalized) approach with regards to sovereignty ("free") not recreational activities.
- the right of the people - should not be unnecessarily restricted, but the previous "well regulated / necessary" clearly shows laws can and should be used to limited to a reasonable extent. We do this already with Felons and in other specific cases.
- and the stickler shall not be infringed: Should be taken in light of the contextual previous language of "well regulated" and "being necessary" and can be reasonable interpreted as reasonably regulated as necessary given the fundamental right as the primary objective of the amendment.

Let's face it, this is not December 1791 any more. "Well Regulated" and "as necessary" should be considered in the context of the current age and time as well as societal condition.

From Gun Violence Archive:

Blue Text Colorfulness Line Font

How do those stats sit with you? We are NO different New Zealand other than we have a lobbyist group having control of roughly half of all republican politicians in congress, from Open Secrets.org

Blue Text Colorfulness Line Electric blue

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This site really has jumped the shark. Honestly - the best thing to happen to MTBR.com if more political rants. Lots of guys with not much to do other than complain or discuss anything just for a click and a response. There, you won.
Yeah, I'm sorry about that- I should respect your opinion and should not have jumped on you like I did.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
We're very different than New Zealand. They don't have a first amendment either -- same as the UK. They can limit free speech as wanted. Yes, we can place limits on gun ownership and do. There will always be a push-pull. The supreme court will eventually tackle I'd guess. Will it be after two more Trump picks?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Sandy Hook involved the slaughter of 26 six year old kids. And we have done nothing. 40% of Americans actually believe Sandy Hook never happened.

Picture this kid after 16 bullets ripped through her body:

View attachment 1267797

Her name was Allison Wyatt and she was 6 years old. She was shot 10+ times. And we forgot and move on to the next stupid thing...
If this wasn't the final straw, nothing will be.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.