Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a pair of Sidi Dominators that I loved but I don't want to pay that much for another pair right now. I also have a pair of Diadora Geckos that I bought based on some other reviews - they have held up well but will need to be replaced soon. I am looking for a pair of shoes that are resonably lightweight and comfortable. I want to be able to race in them as well. I'm getting frustrated because it appears that you either have to spend 200+ dollars for quality shoes (like the Sidi's) or less than 100 for a sub-par shoe. Can anyone reccomend a great pair of shoes in the 70 - 150 dollar range?

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
Well, I don't choose a shoe for weight but I am a former Sidi wearer for several years now. Sidi lost me when they came out with that crap Action SRS shoe with the soles that fell off or needed replacement too soon for 200+ and 50 bucks for replacement sole parts. I loved the older Dominators and Technos, tho.

I've found some of those 70-100 buck shoes last just as long as a Sidi, especially soles, and I'd say several of them were fairly light (not the current Lake MX160's due to their Vibram soles, which are great when you're riding on other than xc race courses). Look at some of the offerings in that price range from Answer, 661 and Lake (non Vibram for racing tho), you might be surprised at the fit, features and quality you get at that price point. Buying them at closeout is a great way to go imho.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
How about some Sidi Bullets. They are the same as the Doms with a bit more mesh and 3 velcros straps.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
FIT!

Whatever you get do not try a new brand/model without trying them on.

If you like the Dominators look at SIDI's cheaper shoes. Mostly the difference is in the closesure system (all Velcro, no buckle).

I like the Pearl Izumi shoes. Even the bottom of the line Vagabond performs very well and is durable.

And as mentioned the Lakes are very functional and fit nicely (I like the laces and straps) though not light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
diodora cosmo mtb

jsnk1975 said:
I also have a pair of Diadora Geckos that I bought based on some other reviews - they have held up well but will need to be replaced soon. I am looking for a pair of shoes that are resonably lightweight and comfortable. Can anyone reccomend a great pair of shoes in the 70 - 150 dollar range?
I wear Diadora Cosmo MTB shoes. Stopped making them, but maybe you can still find them.

Has 3 velcro straps, light, I like them. You can probably find 'em cheap now, I bet. Check it out.

:)

·
255 Posts
The Shimano SH-225s are amazing. I used to hate Shimano shoes, but they did an insole re-design. Awesome support and stiffness as well as durability features. They cost about 150.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts