Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks...

UGI again... thing is, there's not much to upgrade on the SB anymore.

So... My shoes are like six years old now???. Shimano SH-M058

Needless to say, they've been great all this years, starting to show some wear here and there.

I've been looking at Sidi Bullet's... price's right, that company simply doesn't make a bad shoe in their whole line-up.

How fit does compare between both brands in regular sizes? I wear 42's on Shimano.
Also, we do the occasional creek crossing and some of our rides are really "Duathlons", meaning we have to hike a lot from time to time.

How good are Sidi's in that regard?? Any caveat on wet rocks?

Thanks for any help, folks!!

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I have two pairs of Sidi Dominators that I love with one exception. Hike-a-bikes suck because of the hard soles. I also have a pair of Shimano shoes that while old are at least tolerable on hike-a-bikes. The Dominators do fit much better and wear very well. If you walk alot and the Bullets have the same type of sole as the Dominator, get the Shimano's

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EDDIE JONES said:
I have two pairs of Sidi Dominators that I love with one exception. Hike-a-bikes suck because of the hard soles. I also have a pair of Shimano shoes that while old are at least tolerable on hike-a-bikes. The Dominators do fit much better and wear very well. If you walk alot and the Bullets have the same type of sole as the Dominator, get the Shimano's
Thanks, bro!! :thumbsup:

Just the kind of feedback I needed... A plus on the Shimanos is availability around here.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EDDIE JONES said:
I have two pairs of Sidi Dominators that I love with one exception. Hike-a-bikes suck because of the hard soles.
Oh...a question... with "hard soles" you refer to how stiff the insole is or how hard are are the knobs on the tread.

I could bear a stiff sole, but I wouldn't bear it to slip off...

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
The sole is stiff which is fine but the lugs are hard and make slipping a real possibility. In Alabama they are ok because of the terrain but if you are in an extremely rocky, rooted up area they can be a handful trying to walk especially uphill.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDDIE JONES said:
The sole is stiff which is fine but the lugs are hard and make slipping a real possibility. In Alabama they are ok because of the terrain but if you are in an extremely rocky, rooted up area they can be a handful trying to walk especially uphill.
I'll scratch them off my list then... We have a small creek to cross usually and it's walking over wet rocks.

Any other good cycling shoes for these duties?? There's always Shimano, I guess...

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
yeah.. I have a pair of Bullets (just replaced with the ones Whafe sent) .... and as eddie said the sole is hard..so they slip in really hard surfaces..like pure rock... however..those shoes are made to pedal, right? (just joking I know what you mean)... I would rather sacrifice some walking traction for the great fit of the Sidis....

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crisillo said:
I am feeling light headed because I just scored a Z1 light :D

You'll love it... it's perfect...

Back on shoes... it seems like it'll be Lake MX165 ... Good soles, price is right. I've read only good things about Lake's and I have a shop where I can try some Lakes or even buy them.

If my local shop doesn't carry the MX165's, then there's a shop in Montana that carries them... :D

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
Warp said:
You'll love it... it's perfect...

Back on shoes... it seems like it'll be Lake MX165 ... Good soles, price is right. I've read only good things about Lake's and I have a shop where I can try some Lakes or even buy them.

If my local shop doesn't carry the MX165's, then there's a shop in Montana that carries them... :D
Thanks...

I haven't used them.. but did try some on at the shop and they feel comfy and construction seems nice and good quality... could be a nice alternative

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Congrats

crisillo said:
I am feeling light headed because I just scored a Z1 light :D
You are putting it on your Titus, right, Crisillo?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All Mountain said:
Hey Warp, congrats on the new shoes. You certainly deserve them after so long on the boat anchors and will make a positive difference.
Thanks, mate!!

I'll have to make up for the funds before ordering them, but I'll sure get new shoes sometime soon.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
crisillo said:
Thanks...

I haven't used them.. but did try some on at the shop and they feel comfy and construction seems nice and good quality... could be a nice alternative
I have these shoes (Lake MX 165) along with some older Sidi Doms. The Sidis are super cozy, like slippers, but they suck for hiking, walking. The MX 165s are excellent cycling shoes and great for walking, hike-a-bike. They are cozy and so far nice and durable. I rarely ride the Sidis anymore.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:

Hey EDDIE! Just what part of AL "exactley" do you ride that you don't find rocky and rooty?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts