Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoe replacement is now long overdue. The soles are tearing off on both shoes and the cleats are worn down to nubs (Time Atac XS). I was thinking our harsh New England winter would eventually show up and keep me off the trails, thereby delaying a purchase, but it doesn't look like that will happen this year (not complaining).

My current shoes are $70 Shimano dealies (forget the model#) with the 3 velcro straps. They're were nothing special. I never really liked them but they got the job done. I got about 1.5 seasons out of them which is my average. The shoes I've ridden have always been in the $70 to $90 range. I've tried a few different Shimanos, Lakes, Diablo's. None of them really impressed me. I tried on the Sidi's a long time ago and they fit like a glove but they were big bucks and at the time had XC style soles that were hard as crap.

I ride "All Mountain" style in New England so it's necessary to have a sticky sole and to have something that is very tough and can handle excessive moisture as well. I'd like it to be on the lighter more breathable side of things. Ideally I'd like to spend a bit more money this time and get something that fits real well and is really comfortable and would last a good bit longer that 1.5 seasons. Does this shoe exist? What shoes should I look for?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I switched from the shimano cheap-o's to the Specialized Body Geometry--the ones with a ratchet buckle. I think they're called BG Comp (not the ones with the carbon sole). They're about $110 and super comfy. Well ventilated, plenty stiff for pedaling, there's rubbery bits on the sole, and the shoe is pretty light. They supposedly have something on their insole that puts your knee in a more healthy position.

I don't love the ratchet buckle--sometimes it's a pain to get off if little rocks get jammed in. But aside from that it's a great shoe. I'll replace my current ones with the same thing when they wear our.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
What he said up there.

Lake Lake Lake.

Mine need to be replaced after 3-4 years and I'm thinking another pair of Lake.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
that's the one I've been using for a while now. dont even know it's on. just does the job--and good to walk in too.
Those look like great shoes. How long have you had them and how have they held up? What others have you used and how do they compare?

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
I had them shipped..

from Hammerhead Bikes in Austin when I was stationed in Hawaii. So it's been about 3 years I guess. They are holding up great--then again I dont have the MTB miles each year that some passionites have. My lake road shoes saw even more traffic and are also in great shape.

i've also used shimano type that almost looks like a tennis or hiking shoe. They are ok--the heel is finally separating; I still wear them when I use the trainer.

outside of that i had some diadora jalapenos and some nike something or anothers neither one of which fit very well and I wasnt too fond of.

Dan'ger said:
Those look like great shoes. How long have you had them and how have they held up? What others have you used and how do they compare?

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
Many LBSs--

Many LBSs can order from the Quality Bike Parts catalog. Some LBSs even have the catalog incorporated on their websites. This is how I got mine through hammerhead.
I see Hammerhead no longer has the catalog on its site. But most any shop should be able to do it--but how much it will be below retail I dont know. I think back then I might have paid 100 or so and that included shipping.

I just did a google search for you--Lake MX 165s from QBP catalog on Bokoo Bikes (Minnesota)--119 dollars plus shipping. That's the model I have not 190s--sorry--i think maybe 190s are newer?

EDIT--and back when I got mine, Lake didnt afford you the opportunity to order direct from their site. I think this is your best bet. You will be hard pressed to find Lakes on sale unless sometimes Performance/Nashbar gets a model or two with the odd size. I remember this now from when I was looking for mine. Performance had em but not many sizes and about10 dollars less than QBP cat.
Bro, just get em direct from Lake! That way you're getting the newest model that you're looking for as well.

woodyak said:
Where did you get it? When I Google it only Lake's site comes up. I don't like the idea of paying full retail ($140)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. I'm a cheap bastahd!

How is the velcro system on your shoes? the velcro on my Shimanos sucked. The shoes loosen up after about 30 minutes. I have to keep on restrapping them throughout my ride.

It looks like the 190 is the same as the 165 except it has a buckle. I'm not sure I'm willing to shell out an extra $30 for a buckle. Would you spring for the buckle yourself?

How about the sizing. My buddy wears a 43 and he's a size 10. When I e-mailed Lake they said my size 9 foot should take a 43. What size are you running?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the highly subjective nature of shoe fit. A shoe that fits one person like a glove (to mix the metaphor...) Could absolutely not work with your feet. Things to consider are:

Do you have a high or low arch? Do you pronate at all? Do you use orthotics or footbeds?

Also measure your arch length as well as the overall length of your foot.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sidi's

I'm sure there are other good shoes out there, but for a long time I would buy shimano or specialized shoes because that's all they had around here. They would last a year at best and be shot and it was back to the LBS to buy another $100 pair of shoes that would last a year.

I got fed up with that did some research and carnac and sidi seemed to be the way to go, tried a pair of Sidi's dominators which lasted 4 seasons and then I only replaced them for giggles with another pair of dominators still going strong after 2 seasons. I have a set of sidi road shoes as well that have about 4 seasons on them and doing great. They may be more money, but they last way way longer than $100 shoes.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to the guys at the running shoe store I have an amazingly average foot. No over/under pronations, average arch, no other issues. I'd love to try on all these recommended shoes but nobody carries them locally. That's why I've been stuck with the mediocre Shimano's, Pearl Izumi's, other bike brands.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Normally I'm a huge proponent of perfect shoe fit, but for cycling shoes it's really not that big of a deal. At least for the minor fit issues. Cycling shoes do not need to fit nearly as well as say hiking boots, mountaineering boots, climbing shoes etc.

The reason for this is you are not walking/hiking/running in them, and you don't put nearly the stress on your feet that you do walking/hiking. If you do walk or hike in them non of them are comfortable or easy on your feet doing it. Certainly having a cycling shoe that is way too narrow or wide for your foot or one that isn't 2 sizes too big or small is not going to work, but I think you can easily get away with a cycling shoe a half size either way, or doesn't have the perfect arch for your foot etc, or is just a tiny bit narrow or wide. While those issues would be horrible for a hiking boot, for a cycling shoe it's just not a big deal, it's not going to cause blisters or pain on a ride. Most of them have very good heel cups and since they are most all very short like a running shoe heel slip and such are not major issues. Esp. since most have very good lacing adjustment.

In fact my first two pair of sidi's were 45.0's and I never noticed them being too big, the only thing I noticed was that I had to ratchet the straps almost down to their limits, so the next pairs I got were 44.5's and they also fit fine I just don't have to crank down the straps as far. If I had to hike 10 miles in my sidi's I'm sure they would be a bit narrow and my feet would hurt like heck and have all sorts of blisters etc. but for riding they fit like a glove and are comfy.

What I would do is call some online cycling stores and ask them if you can order a sidi/carnac/lake etc. in 2-3 sizes, and return the ones that don't fit right. If you don't wear them outside or beat them up this should be no problem. With most of the stores having a liberal return policy I don't think this would be a problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.