Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read reviews from homers on everything from bar tape to bash guards (JK about the bar tape..although I'm sure CC has some good recomendations:p )...but no Shoes!

I go through two or three pairs of shoes annually, definitely bad for my wallet. I tend to get myself in situations where exploratory missions end in loooooong hike-a-bikes. I like the countryside any way I can get it:thumbsup:

That said, the walking does a number on my shoes. Couple that with crashes, build days, and decomposing granite that acts like 60G sandpaper and its a definitely formula for premature wear on my slippers:madman:

Anyone in similar conditions that can recommend a good shoe. Needs to be comfortable and stable, cause I 'like' to ride:D

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
I have had the same problem until I bought the Shimano SH-MT31 shoes. They are affordable at around $50, ad they have lasted in the desert longer than any shoe so far. We have lots of granite as well, so I need a sticky shoe. The rubber compound feels a bit hard, but I have yet to slip. The sole is still in great shape after 8 months, and only 1 minor glue repair was needed. The shoes are plenty comfy to hike in, and they are pretty stiff as well. No hot spots for me with this shoe.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried a similar shoe in that category with little success. Spez something or other. They were ok, but stretched out over long rides where mucho climbing was involved and I had to mash my 38lb bike up long ascents. I think the lack of stability in the sole would cause my foot to go numb.

I am considering these...

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Shimano MP66

Don't know about durability but I am liking the Shimano MP66 which can be worn with or without a cleat. The reason I DK about durability is that I only wear them for FR or DH and not XC; I don't ride as much FR/DH as XC.

Mine are black - this year they changed the color to white. Got them on pro-form for $32 - about $65 if you look around.

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~~
5,918 Posts
I had to replace my specy buzzsaws or something like that, sole broke, velcro wore out, and I went with these shimanos. I considered those shimano and 661 bmxy looking ones but they look weak for hikeabikeing. Check out Cambria's website, they look to have a wider selection of shimano shoes than even the shimano website.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
The only clip-ins I've ever been happy with are Sidi Dominators, Lake 302's and the Shimano shoes above. All for different reasons. Sidis suck to walk in for any distance (and then there is the price..), the Lakes rock all around, but of course are winter specific, the Shimanos are comfy, walk fine (downside is so-so traction in wet/loose) and durability is, so far, better than Izumis, Adidas or older Shimanos I've had.

Brock...

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flat pedal impaired!

No thanks! I need all the help I can get slogging my RFX at 10,500'. Upward rotation is a definite + under normal circumstances. The DJ stuff is just a fad:D

I am liking the Black/Blue shimano's Airwreck. RCC has worn those for years and swears by them. I just don't like the added blue, but may have to settle.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I ride Shimano SH-225 and/or 181's in everything here. More of a trail/XC shoe, but I use mine on all forms of aggro riding (trail to light FR/DH) here in PacNW with CB Acid pedals where riding days typically involve 2-4k of climbing and allows me to pedal my 36lb RFX pretty efficiently to hammer the downs. Flats or sneaker style shoes would be better for DJ and FR'ing of course, but the Shimanos do me fine for in most riding conditions and are nice and comfy, especially if have wider foot, and plenty stiff. Walking long distances in them are not ideal though.

They are a little pricey, but I usually score last year's model on closeout for <$100 and typically get about 1-2yrs out of them. I was able to get a pair of 06' 225's for $70 last year and they are still comfy and holding together great.

JG

·
Registered
12,532 Posts
I picked up some of these Adidas Plush shoes on clearance a year or two ago and they are holding up well.

They are pretty good. They have a wide, grippy, lugged sole and some ankle support. They also have a pretty stiff midsole shank so energy transfer on long climbs and sprints is pretty good.

Downsides: They are fairly heavy and surprisingly have not been that comfortable to walk in for extended Hike-a-bike sessions (I think my regular Answer XC shoes are more comfortable). This may be due to the thin insole. I've orderd a thicker, more insulating insole for winter use that may just stay in there if it's more comfy too.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! I had a very similar pair of shimano's this year and they were very comfy,..especially with the Body Geo foot pad from Spez. But, for $100 they sure didn't last long. Score one more for the sandpaper that is our ST.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,918 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
KRob said:
I picked up some of these Adidas Plush shoes on clearance a year or two ago and they are holding up well.

They are pretty good. They have a wide, grippy, lugged sole and some ankle support. They also have a pretty stiff midsole shank so energy transfer on long climbs and sprints is pretty good.

Downsides: They are fairly heavy and surprisingly have not been that comfortable to walk in for extended Hike-a-bike sessions (I think my regular Answer XC shoes are more comfortable). This may be due to the thin insole. I've orderd a thicker, more insulating insole for winter use that may just stay in there if it's more comfy too.
Plus 1 on the Plush - I am on pair #2 and am very happy with them - the soles have outlasted anything else I have tried twofold plus they offer some ankle protection too. Forgot to say bluesky cycling has them on sale typically.

·
Registered
927 Posts
123, those Specialized Trail 110 you were looking at are :):):)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts