Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Pricepoint has last years 5.10's for $79 and this years for $99. Very grippy but the sole seems a bit stiffer than I like for a skate shoe. I've used a couple different 661's and liked them a lot. Not quite as grippy but close, and the sole is much more flexible (for "clawing").

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
don't rush into the 5.10's, with good pins on the pedals the 5.10's can be too sticky and make learning to ride flats more difficult. Also agree with Roy on the stiffness and clawing. This 5.10 impact 2's are stiffer than than the 1's, and learning to claw and being able to adjust the position of your foot on the pedal is more valuable than stickiness.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
airwreck said:
don't rush into the 5.10's, with good pins on the pedals the 5.10's can be too sticky and make learning to ride flats more difficult. Also agree with Roy on the stiffness and clawing. This 5.10 impact 2's are stiffer than than the 1's, and learning to claw and being able to adjust the position of your foot on the pedal is more valuable than stickiness.
Voice of reason here.

I can move my feet around more in my time clipless pedals than I can with 5.10s on.

I'm not exactly a fan.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i grabbed a pair of 661's, cant remember the model, from tim at acme bikes dawt calm while i was out there in may. so far, very grippy but ive yet to give em the full test. only thing is they fold at the toe makin break in a bit lengthy. cant go wrong for $10!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A big 5.10 fan here. True they grip almost too well, but what's a better alternative for flats? I'd rather they hold on then slide off. Got mine at RideSFO by the way.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Kevin G said:
but what's a better alternative for flats?
Anything that lets you adjust your foot position while riding.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
kidwoo said:
Anything that lets you adjust your foot position while riding.
True dat, although I like the 5.10's, I almost prefer to ride in my Etnies when riding flats, as I have more control & movement. If you slip a bit in a technical section on the 5.10's you are pretty much stuck where they land back on the pedal until you can get to a smoother section to re-position your foot. BTW, my pedals are good ol' Easton Flatboys :thumbsup:

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
inkpad said:
True dat, although I like the 5.10's, I almost prefer to ride in my Etnies when riding flats, as I have more control & movement. If you slip a bit in a technical section on the 5.10's you are pretty much stuck where they land back on the pedal until you can get to a smoother section to re-position your foot. BTW, my pedals are good ol' Easton Flatboys :thumbsup:
I actually sat down in the flats between some doubles once to adjust my foot.

I don't like having to do that.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
You can't reposition your foot w/ SPD's either......which is why I love my 5.10's.....but, I can either choke up on the pedal, or duckfoot it, or stagger my feet w/ my 5.10's when goin' on XC rides and I want to give my feet a break on being "locked into one place"...

I haven't heard about the Version 2 of the 5.10's having a stiffer sole....I'm thinking I might like the more rigid footbed/sole.....?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
jokermtb said:
You can't reposition your foot w/ SPD's either
Which is why I use times :)

"repositioning" refers to having your foot bounced or accidently placed in a non-ideal spot. In normal shoes, you can fix this while riding. In clipless setups, you have your cleat positioned to place your foot in an ideal position anyway.

I've been riding flats for years. I know I'm in minority but I see many more disadvantages to 5.10s than advantages. Unfortunately I love the construction of them. (I'm wearing them right now actually). They've got a skate style shoe that's supposed to be a little less sticky. I've ordered a pair and am looking forward to trying them out.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Another vote for 5.10s like anythig there's a learning curve one ride will not help, it takes time to learn to adjust to every situation they are grippy I also liked using CBs with these for les grip or DX with small pins, but pre crash times I was riding 3 - 4 diferent types of flat pedals with no issues, ya just adjust over time!

I also have 661 decends but prefer the 5:10s

Good luck deciding, and they tend to be a size smaller than ya normal sho size so try before ya buy if possible or if online buying go up a size:thumbsup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Airwreck et al, "5.10 is too grippy" is pretty interesting. Lately I am finding myself enjoying clipless much more, since I just don't like getting my feet thrown from the proper pedal position, and not being able to move them back to where I want them. I have found myself way too often in a technical situation with my feet not where I want them and without being able to move them due to the stickiness.
So... what non 5.10 shoes do you like using? Something that strikes a good balance between stickiness and being able to move the foot? Cheers!

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I used vans for eons but it's tough to find a model with a stiff sole that offers good support. Even the best don't touch 5.10s in that regard.

There were some sticky soled nike shoes that were out last year that I stock piled. I'm about to kill my last pair so I'm kind of in the market too right now since they've been discontinued. I've been riding my 5.10s the last two weeks or so and I need to find something else. Like I said, the construction is bomber.......which is why I'm curious about this skate shoe they're making. I don't mind a little stickier than vans but I can't live with not being able to move my foot. If the 5.10 california (I think that's the name) end up being too sticky, I'm going back to vans without question.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.