Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Save Jesus
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a shoe with a wide toe box. Or more specifically, one that does not taper down near the pinky toe. My feel are relatively flat across the toes, which means that in a lot of shoes, my pinky and 3rd and 4th toes tend to get squished inwards. I don't need the shoe to have a wide heel.

The shoes I have are Shimano M077, so I'd want something similar, i.e. has velcro instead of laces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in the same boat, tried on several brands, finally found the Bontrager MTB RLs, and they have been great. Also got the road version, equally comfortable and durable so far (2 years).

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
My lakes fit impressively wide (I use the mx-165, Velcro etc), love those shoes
My shimanos are ok
Stay away from sidis and if someone posts about them, leave neg rep immediately. They are tiny.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Specialized Body-Geometry shoes don't squish your pinky toe area at all.

I have a pair of the white & red ones, that were like $140. I have fairly wide feet.

They fit great, and are good quality for the price IMO.

Just my $0.02.....

:thumbsup:

·
Save Jesus
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I tried the Specialized shoes a while ago, and while I don't remember much about the fit, I eliminated them because the tread compound was too plasticky and slippery.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Specialized Body-Geometry shoes don't squish your pinky toe area at all.

I have a pair of the white & red ones, that were like $140. I have fairly wide feet.

They fit great, and are good quality for the price IMO.

Just my $0.02.....

:thumbsup:
Second the Specialized. Most European shoes have a slightly narrow toe box. I always wanted a Sidi but they just don't fit correctly.

·
Save Jesus
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bontrager shoes are out - they squeeze on the side of my pinky toe, although they do not compress the tips of my small toes.

·
skobiken
133 Posts
I have the same issue and ended up getting the specialized shoes about two sizes too big and tightening the crap out of them to keep my foot in place. I don't recommend them. Got them two years ago and they're starting to fall apart. They're downright dangerous to walk in.

I have heard good things about Lake's wide shoes and they use real rubber, but haven't found any to try on. I've also been told that pearl izumi's shoes have a fairly wide toebox.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looking for a shoe with a wide toe box. Or more specifically, one that does not taper down near the pinky toe. My feel are relatively flat across the toes, which means that in a lot of shoes, my pinky and 3rd and 4th toes tend to get squished inwards. I don't need the shoe to have a wide heel.

The shoes I have are Shimano M077, so I'd want something similar, i.e. has velcro instead of laces.
I use these and love them:thumbsup::thumbsup: I have wide toes also and they have plenty of room
Shimano M162 SPD Shoes > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Mountain Bike Shoes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

·
Registered
883 Posts
I responded to another thread about this.Louis Garneau Montana XT2 have a round toe box. Different than any other I've seen or used. I also have a pair of Spec. Rime which are not as comfortable because of the pointier toe area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the Shimano shoes run small (Length). I had to step up to a 46.
Definitely. If you check Shimano's sizing chart, they use a different scale than, say, Specialized, which is different from Sidi. For example, my normal shoe size is approximately US 13EE. I recently tried on some size 48 Shimano M087E's, and the U.S. size printed on the box was like 12.3, whereas SIDI would consider 48 = U.S. 13, and Specialized considers a size 47 to be a 13. IMHO Specialized runs small, though, so I would say a 47 is closer to a 12.5. So at least Sidi and Shimano's sizing is accurate according to their own charts in my experience, but you can't make assumptions across brands.

BTW, considering that the Shimanos I tried on were nearly a size too small, they still had decent toe room all things considered. I was almost considering buying them. Too bad the store didn't have any 49's for me to try (not sure if Shimano goes that high anyway).

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Giro makes a HV (high volume) for the Privateer and Gauge.
Specialized's current models are not narrow.
Shimano's are not that bad.
Some Louis Garneau are comfy as are Lakes even without the W designation for "wide".

I have narrow heels and wider forefoot. I could not fit a Mavic or Northface or SIDI but the Sidi Mega were comfy.

I spent way too much time going from shop to shop to try and was willing to buy full bore retail if a perfect fit was found.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm wearing 2 Specialized S-works shoes road and mountain , Sidi Dragon Mtb and Gaerne Kobra Mtb. The Gaerne Is diffidently much wider toe box, I use it for very hot long rides, Specialized and Sidi toe box about the same.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i too like shoes that have a wide toebox. i bought a pair of specialized tahoes - i have found them to be comfortable and a nice looking shoe. only thing i don't like is the fact they have laces.....

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've been riding the Specialized RIME now for about a year. Its their enduro-ish shoe and came out before "enduro" as an industry term had taken off. its designed to be less race minimal in fit and shape and more comfort/hike a bike capable with a grippy vibram sole on the outsole covering the stiff platform. Has BOA and 2 velcro straps.

I have bunions (deformed big toe joint which sticks out) - and the pain/problem always was way worse diring/after riding in my race fit mtb shoes. Since the RIMEs and a pair of "natural" sneakers - Brooks w minimal heel lift and flexible sole - i am pain free.

BTW - the RIMEs are uber comfrotable - but yet one of their stiffer sole platforms - so you wont give up any power transfer when pedaling... and they are decent price for a show w these features... same as new giro terraduro which look pretty similar

overall Id have to give em 4.5 out of 5 in a rating.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I need a 4E width shoe, but have been better off with lake wide shoes over other shoes so far. Lakes are a 2E. I have the winter boot 302, and three other pairs of lakes. I will try to find a specialized store with wides to compare.
Urmb

1 - 20 of 27 Posts