Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
menace to myself & others
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking to purchase his first set of mountain bike shoes. I realized that I have only ever used Sidi Dominators, and he's not gonna want to spend $270, or even half that. Plus, until/unless he gets into racing, they're kind of overkill.

Anyone have recommendation for ~$100 mountain bike shoes that he can use for light dirt riding and (probably more extensive) road riding?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
A bunch of people recommended the Specialized BG Comps, and then I found some on sale at Passion, so I picked them up. Have yet to wear them yet.

Supposedly great comfort, quality, but not as stiff as carbon soled shoes (which can be good sometimes). I also have Doms, but those started to hurt on the 8-hr rides/races so I was looking for something more comfortable and less stiff.

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
another vote for specialized
i'm on my umpteenth pair of Specialized Taho ATB shoes.
They recently went up to $75 a pair from $65 but to me they are still worth it.
Besides price, the benefits include;
-Laces for better fit adjustment and a more reliable closure (sorry but velcro straps make me feel like i should be riding the short bus)
-Flexible soles that are stiff in just the right place (a preference, i usually end up doing some hike-a-biking and don't like rigid soles when doing so)
-Rubber soles; more traction than plastic
-colors; black and grey with touches of red match my bike. they also make 'em with touches of yellow and the women's versions have a brown and tan model that i would love to have if only they made it in a 47.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,267 Posts
Specialized Tahoes are the shizzle. My hub and I both wear them. They are comfortable enough for walking in, and are definitely under 100. More like 80. These are at that sweet spot of great price, comfort, and quality. You have to remove a rubber flap to expose the clipless, otherwise, you can just wear 'em as-is with flats.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've been very happy with my Specialized BG Comp shoes-- super comfortable. The front flexes enough that they are nice for running during cross races, yet they feel stiff enough on the pedals. I think the BG Sport is the same shoe at a much lower price, just without a mechanical closure.

The conformity in this thread is disturbing.

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
Ok then!

kpd said:
The conformity in this thread is disturbing.
Not in the price range I guess, but I've always ridden Sidi's. I have had the Dragons for the last year or so.

These have the two monofil cords that snug the shoe in the middle of the instep.

Pros: Great fit, replaceable cleats/soles, when new and everything works bombproof

Cons: Needs a better attachment for the tightening screws to snug up the middles. The turn screws on both shoes have now fallen off and been lost. I have to snug them up with pliers.

I tend to get about 4 years out of my Sidis

·
In Search of Singletrack
120 Posts
After riding lots of other brands and replacing them after very little use I switched to Sidis. They are $$ but you get way you pay for. I just retired my last pair of Dominators after 9 years of use and got a new pair a few months ago..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Specialized. Best fit, best price, best selection. And, they back up their warranty. I broke the closer on my last pair, took them into the shop where I bought them, filled out a warranty card, and walked out with a brand new pair - next year's model no less.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
another for specialized. ive got a pair of their bg comps (approx. 130) and they rock. they've held up pretty well. i've also got a pair of their pro carbon road shoes. ill tell you this; i cant tell the difference with the carbon sole/stiffness, ect... maybe some do, but i sure as hell dont. tell him to check his local spesh shop; theyre bound to stock tons of em...

·
Registered
751 Posts
The stitching that held the sole of my Specialized shoes came apart and is now worthless. Good news is that the shoe lasted me about 7 seasons, was very comfortable, easy to walk in, and worked great when not clipped in. Not bad for $60. For a beginner, go with comfort instead of stiffness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.