Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some shoe issues over the past few seasons and I am trying to find a thinner pair of shoe for cycling...Presently I have a pair of the women specific specialized race type mtb shoes...I wear a 7 to 7.5 2A in a regular shoe...

What does everybody else wear and do you also have problems with narrow feet? :confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Shell_76 said:
I have been having some shoe issues over the past few seasons and I am trying to find a thinner pair of shoe for cycling...Presently I have a pair of the women specific specialized race type mtb shoes...I wear a 7 to 7.5 2A in a regular shoe...

What does everybody else wear and do you also have problems with narrow feet? :confused:
I have found that the Sidi shoes for women are narrower than most other shoes out there. Besides, when it comes to shoes, you can't go wrong with Italian.

Sabine

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sidi's rule. I've had two pair over the last five years. Only replaced the older because they *look bad* not because they're worn out. They are just well worn.

I like that the synthetic leather of the Sidi's stretch and contract to fit your foot. There are tons of creek crossing here this time of year so my feet get wet alot. I just cinch up the straps as the stuf stretches a little wet. Over night in front of the box fan they are dry and ready for another ride. In the winter they will stretch just enough to make the double layer of wool socks just right, not to tight. Some might find this stretching and contracting a draw back but I like. The shoes shape to YOUR feet very well. The stuff, I think it's called Lorica, is tough too. No problems with it tearing or splitting even when kicking throught the rocks. Soles wear out but not too fast. I think in some models thay are replaceable too.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
66 Posts
Shell_76 said:

I have been riding for 10+ yrs. and still have not found a shoe that feels like a slipper.
I have always wore sidi's. They are a great shoe, can't argue that. Most of the team that
I ride with all wear sidi's, So........ If you can swallow $200+ on shoes do it. I think MTBing
and sore feet kind of go hand in hand. :(

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
downhilldoll said:
I have been riding for 10+ yrs. and still have not found a shoe that feels like a slipper.
I have always wore sidi's. They are a great shoe, can't argue that. Most of the team that
I ride with all wear sidi's, So........ If you can swallow $200+ on shoes do it. I think MTBing
and sore feet kind of go hand in hand. :(

I have to agree with you there. What's smarter, spending $75 bucks on crappy shoes every year or spending $200 and having them last for 5 or more years. My Sidi's turned 4 just recently and they've still got another year or two left in them. I did buy aftermarket inserts for them though... the ones they came with weren't very impressive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which model of sidi shoe would recommend? I'll have to look around in my area because there are very few places that sell sidi shoes. Now do the sidi shoes have laces that you can do up or is it just the straps that are on the shoe that are suppose to secure your foot in? :confused:

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
What shoes would be good just to see if I like clipless?

I don't really want to spend $200 if I don't like the way clipless feel. Does it also depend on what kind of pedal you have? so much I don't know and I don't want to go into a bike shop and just buy whatever they tell me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brownieinSC

If you bought a pair of less expensive shoe and tried the clipless pedals to see if you like them then probably in like a year you would probably need to buy another pair that better suit what you were doing would be good...I started with a pair of high top sort hiking shoe figuring on that my aches would need the support but after a couple of years I have found that I would rather have a pair of shoes that looked more like racing shoes and that were lighter...But now with the constant riding that we have been doing my feet and everything else is sort of thinning down such that my feet are getting narrower...Which make for getting my shoes tight enough on my feet a battle... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try looking for a clear out on last years shoe. I go a pair of Shimano shoes at 60% off because they were old stock. I ended up getting shoes, pedals and cleats all installed and setup for me for $180.00cdn retail on the shoe alone was like 240.00cdn

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sidi's are a great shoe...

but it is very important to make sure you have the best fit. European shoes are generally narrower but don't count out brands like Specialized, Answer and Six, Six, One. Chances are, many of those shoes are manufactured in Europe as well.

So, when you go to the lbs to try on shoes, plan on being there for a while. Once you find a brand/model/size that feels good, wear them for at least 20 minutes to allow the leather to warm up. Re-adjust the laces/velcro straps/buckles so the shoe fits comfortably snug and if they still feel good, you've got a winner. If not, move onto the next choice. Once you have gotten used to your shoes, you might try different insoles to improve the fit. Good luck.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is what I have but not in black

This web site says $209 but I think they usually retail for about $180. on sale around $120 end of season.

I too use an after market insert with a better arch support.

To fit the shoes your don't want them loose or too tight. Snug might even be a bit much. all though the sidi's are very good about shaping to your foot. generally you want your foot to fill up the shoe with very little room left at the toe end. you want to be able to wiggle your toes. if you normally use an orthodic or need more arch support TAKE IT WITH YOU to try on bike shoes.

good luck.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Shell_76 said:

I'm another 2A foot, though I'm a 9 (40.5-41). Even the women's Sidi's are too wide for me. I prefer shoes with laces since they allow more adjustment. I usually bottom-out velcro straps. I'm on my second pair of Diadora's women's Chilis. The first pair is still wearable as a backup pair, but they've softened to the point where they aren't as supportive. I got 2-3 years of hard use out of them, and they retail for about $120, so they're a decent value.

I wear a pair of Specialized mtb shoes on my road bike. They have laces under a velcro flap, also. They'd be a little wide for the get-off-and-push sections of mtbike trails, but on the road they're okay. The toe-box is extra roomy for when my feet swell a little (to normal size ;^P )on long, hot rides.

Good luck!

Kathy

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a pair of Sidis which I loved until we started riding in Moab so often. The hard plastic soles are like wearing ice skates if you're climbing around on slickrock. The tread works fine in dirt, but on solid rock it's not very helpful. So I switched to some AXO shoes that are still quite stiff-soled, but the tread is rubbery like a hiking shoe and sticks to slickrock. Much better.

I'm not sure what's going to be narrower than Sidis... They're already on the verge of being too narrow for me, but they're comfy enough that I normally wear them without socks, so it works out fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I guess my options are the narrow Sidi and the Diadora's women's Chilis. I'll have a look around to see if I can find either and try them on for size...My one question is does the Sidi shoes that everybody is talking about do they have laces? B/c like Lucky I like my shoes w/ laces for my control of snugness of my shoes... :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
no laces on the Sidi's. Two or Three strap models. Three is better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts