Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up some clipless pedals, but having a hard time finding some shoes and deciding on a pedal.

This will be my first experience going clipless, and I know from research here that the Shimano PD-M520 is a great beginner pedal. But I can find the crankbros Eggbeater C Pedal on sale for the same price ($49.99) so which should I get?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent beginner shoe? I don't want to spend a fortune ($50-$75) but can't find anything much less than $100+. Any recommendations that would work with either of the pedals above? Is the SH-MT21 shoe any good?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up picking up the MT21 shoe and M520 pedal, I have read numerous threads about the M520 being a great beginner pedal, and while I have read many threads about the egg beaters also being a good pedal, I am a beginner! Total cost from the local performance bikes was about $90 :)

Looking forward to getting home from work and trying them out.
 

·
How do I do that?
Joined
·
561 Posts
I picked up a set of M520's at Pricepoint and had them pricematch it to $34.74 which was the cheapest US price I could find online at another site. Although I saved $15 on the pedals, I wound up paying full retail for a pair of Lake MX165's in a wide ($120 + S&H!!) for my PITA wide feet:(

A lifetime of not being able to fit in or spending big bucks on the majority of the shoes I want:madman: . I'm so sick of NB's too!:mad:

Try looking up Shimano's SH56 multi release cleats if you can't get used to the SH51 that the 520's come with.

Good luck with your new clipless setup!;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Tuff Gong said:
I picked up a set of M520's at Pricepoint and had them pricematch it to $34.74 which was the cheapest US price I could find online at another site. Although I saved $15 on the pedals, I wound up paying full retail for a pair of Lake MX165's in a wide ($120 + S&H!!) for my PITA wide feet:(

A lifetime of not being able to fit in or spending big bucks on the majority of the shoes I want:madman: . I'm so sick of NB's too!:mad:

Try looking up Shimano's SH56 multi release cleats if you can't get used to the SH51 that the 520's come with.

Good luck with your new clipless setup!;)
just out of curiosity, how wide are your feet? I've been thinking of going clipless too, or at least trying it, but I wear a 10.5/11 4E nb and normal shoes are unbearably painful just to try on. these lakes sound like a good find.
 

·
How do I do that?
Joined
·
561 Posts
anavrinIV said:
just out of curiosity, how wide are your feet? I've been thinking of going clipless too, or at least trying it, but I wear a 10.5/11 4E nb and normal shoes are unbearably painful just to try on. these lakes sound like a good find.
Hey anavrin, I wear NB's in a 4E's as well in a 9 although a 8.5 would work. I ordered a size 43 wide for the Lakes and I had to return it due to it being too long. The width is snug but it fits my feet but I'm guessng cycling shoes fit differently then an ordinary pair of sneakers. I do wish it was a little bit wider but I think it'll work fine. At least I could place my foot in them without any pain, I can't even fit my foot in any normal cycle shoes.

I'm waiting for the smaller size to arrive so I have no real experience with them yet. I'll let you know if your interested when I get them and actually use them for a couple of rides.

I do think it'll fit your 4E feet though. Aside from Lake, I believe SIDI(?) makes wide shoes as well but they're a lot more coin then the Lake's.....although the returning and exchanging headache is adding more to my cost:madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Tuff Gong said:
Hey anavrin, I wear NB's in a 4E's as well in a 9 although a 8.5 would work. I ordered a size 43 wide for the Lakes and I had to return it due to it being too long. The width is snug but it fits my feet but I'm guessng cycling shoes fit differently then an ordinary pair of sneakers. I do wish it was a little bit wider but I think it'll work fine. At least I could place my foot in them without any pain, I can't even fit my foot in any normal cycle shoes.

I'm waiting for the smaller size to arrive so I have no real experience with them yet. I'll let you know if your interested when I get them and actually use them for a couple of rides.

I do think it'll fit your 4E feet though. Aside from Lake, I believe SIDI(?) makes wide shoes as well but they're a lot more coin then the Lake's.....although the returning and exchanging headache is adding more to my cost:madman:
thanks for the info. right now I'm really just looking for options so I know what's out there. I'll look into the sidis as well and anything else out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it appears that Superman installed my original pedals, after getting home last night looking forward to trying out my new pedal/shoes, try as I might I could not get the original ones to budge (I still have red marks on my palms from trying to remove them, and yes, I was trying to turn them the correct way, kept double checking myself to be sure).

Any tips on removing the original pedals? I have not even had the bike more than 3 months, so it's not like they are old and seized on there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cdeftekar said:
PB Blaster!
Not sure if it was this, or the 2' torque wrench, but I finally managed to get them off (injuring myself with the chain rings in the process, I literally had my entire body weight pushing down on the wrench, pedal suddenly popped loose, I lost my balance, bike fell, I fell, ribs now ache!).

Thanks.
 

·
responsible zombie owner
Joined
·
654 Posts
"Any tips on removing the original pedals? I have not even had the bike more than 3 months, so it's not like they are old and seized on there."

One catch with pedals is that the pedal on one side unscrews to the right... ie counter to the normal direction... as explained below [from http://www.webmountainbike.com/pedals.html].

"The right side pedal unscrews COUNTERCLOCKWISE when viewed from that side. The left side pedal is reverse threaded, however, and is unscrewed in a CLOCKWISE direction when viewed from that side. Please remember this!! This seems to go against the laws of physics. Once loosened, each pedal can be unscrewed quickly by turning the crank with the wrench engaged on the pedal spindle."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
adidas shoes (el moro iii) and eggbeater stainless here...cant say enough about my eggs, they are flawless....shoes are nice too...got em on sale for 20$ tho...so i dunno reg price...

if you can afford, id go with eggs...spds not as clean, or easy to learn on as eggs... imo
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top