Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I decided that I need new riding shoes. I have been hiking off the bike much more because I have been using the single speed. For hike-a-bike situations, I was never happy with my Sidis Doms. or my Specialized. I like the more traditional XC type shoes, like the Sidis, but have realized that they suck for hiking. But, I don't want a pair of the full on hi-top "Air Jordan" sneakers I have seen out there.

Can someone suggest a good "trail rider" shoe good for hike-a-bikes somewhere left of XC racing shoes and right of hooligan high tops/skater shoes, and compatable with Time cleats? Thanks.

PS: Must try shoes on before purchase, thus I am really looking for shoe recs. that can be tried on and purchased locally (Phoenix).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I use these. They have a recessed cleat and decent tread. The traction is great compared to most higher end MTB shoes. The sole isn't the stiffest out there, but its by no means flexy... and they're relatively inexpensive (about $65). Swiss American carries them, and I believe so does Slippery Pig.
Link

I used to use the SH-M034's but I could only get about 8 months out of a pair before the tread on the soles started falling apart. I think Shimano discontinued them, but I think the replaced them with the SH-MT20D. I'm on a year on the 30's and the soles are still in great shape.

Dirdir said:
Last night I decided that I need new riding shoes. I have been hiking off the bike much more because I have been using the single speed. For hike-a-bike situations, I was never happy with my Sidis Doms. or my Specialized. I like the more traditional XC type shoes, like the Sidis, but have realized that they suck for hiking. But, I don't want a pair of the full on hi-top "Air Jordan" sneakers I have seen out there.

Can someone suggest a good "trail rider" shoe good for hike-a-bikes somewhere left of XC racing shoes and right of hooligan high tops/skater shoes, and compatable with Time cleats? Thanks.

PS: Must try shoes on before purchase, thus I am really looking for shoe recs. that can be tried on and purchased locally (Phoenix).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sidi

They rule. I never bought the most expspensive Sidi's and they still kick the llama's a$$.
Had friends who went different routes and spent cash but they always come back.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
I hear good things about Lakes?
Krein (Scott) and Lee have done some serious hike-a-bike. Wonder what they use.

edit: I've only used sidis for the last 7 years (and I'm only on my second pair and the 1st still work) and love em but they suck for hike-a-bike.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i use shimano dx shoes when i race downhill. they are pretty durable but i think they are probably heavier than what you are lookin for.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YuriB said:
I looked up the Lakes and these, the MX 165s, are now on the top of my list. Problem is, I have never seen them in any store. Anyone know where Lakes are sold in the Phoenix area?

Attachments

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Dirdir said:

Shimano M-038's are the best "hike a bike" shoes I have ever used. Of course they have changed the model # on them -- I think they are now called "MT40".

I also like my Northwave Iguana's. I got them at Supergo last year.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nashbar

Dirdir said:
I looked up the Lakes and these, the MX 165s, are now on the top of my list. Problem is, I have never seen them in any store. Anyone know where Lakes are sold in the Phoenix area?

I took a chance, and got mine from nashbar. I could not find them locally. They fit similarly to the Sidi's, I wear a 44 in both, though they are not quite as comfy. My friend also uses em and swears by them. I picked them up for my trip to moab, as I didn't care to skate down slickrock on my sidi's.
I'm not sure the reason for the hard sole, but if Sidi would make a shoe with a Vibram sole, I'd be all over them.
Later.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
thats..

..the shoe i use--fits great--had em shipped to Hawaii from Hammerhead Bikes in Austin (using their online QBP catalog). Also got a pair of Lake Road shoes.

hope u can find a pair--

Dirdir said:

·
Glutton for punishment
580 Posts
Specialized Taho

I bought a pair of Specialized Taho shoes several months ago. They're quite comfortable and they're not bad to do the Hairball ride in. I think they cost $65, so you're not looking at too much $$

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
YuriB said:

edit: I've only used sidis for the last 7 years (and I'm only on my second pair and the 1st still work) and love em but they suck for hike-a-bike.
I use the low end special-ed BG shoes. I think they are called "rock hopper" but unfortunately they aren't produced anymore. The news specialized Tahoe is the closest, and they are OK for hike a bike, but I really wish my rock hoppers weren't falling apart.

Guess I should see what they are offering for 06.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
holy dirt cheap

AZmtncycler said:
I have the Lake MX100 and Lake MX60. They are really cheap now at Cambria. check em out!
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=19640
Great for those times when you need to hike or if you ride technical rocks, the sole's grip well when caught in a sketchy predicament ;)
great. now next time i run into anyone we'll all be wearing these shoes
thanks

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trying to secure size 45 in the Lake MX 165. Nashbar is out. When I decide I want something, nothing else will do. I want those damn shoes. A slightly used pair in my size is on ebay, but I would prefer new.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Dirdir said:
Trying to secure size 45 in the Lake MX 165. Nashbar is out. When I decide I want something, nothing else will do. I want those damn shoes. A slightly used pair in my size is on ebay, but I would prefer new.
Your stinky-ass feet won't mind if they are new or used. Suck it up, be a man, and buy used stuff like the rest of the world.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
yetisurly said:
Your stinky-ass feet won't mind if they are new or used. Suck it up, be a man, and buy used stuff like the rest of the world.
Indeed. I also have some slightly used riding shorts you may be interedsted in if you have money left over from your shoe purchase.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yetisurly said:
I don't need to suck it up because I am as rich as a Saudi Prince and you are just yellous. If I find my size, I may just get two pair, one for odd days and one for even days, or whatever they call them. I may also buy the used pair and burn them in one of my many fireplaces. Alternatively, I could hang them up and shoot at them with my dart gun while yelling "Suck this up, Gordo" all day long.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts