Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a mtb shoe that accommodates a more rearward cleat placement...I prefer the cleat to be behind the ball of the foot and the furthest back I can set the cleat always feels too far forward on my right foot, at least on the two pair of shimano shoes I have now.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,301 Posts
SIDI-Dominators have an oval shaped area that gives you two options of positions. Plus the metal screw plate slides in the oval space for more position options.

White Light Carmine Black Grey

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SIDI-Dominators have an oval shaped area that gives you two options of positions. Plus the metal screw plate slides in the oval space for more position options.
The shimanos have the same setup and still the furthest back position is too far forward...moreso for my right foot which is a half size shorter than my left. So looking to see if anyone with a similar preference is able to set their cleat behind the ball of their foot and if so on what shoe.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
The Shimano GR5 has a very long pocket and allows the most rearward cleat position that I've found.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've done it a few times and it's worked out well, I also like the cleats pretty far back.
So an update on this. I was able to drill/dremel the slots back no problem. The job got a little trickier because the inside of the platform behind the slots also had a ridge pattern blocking the cleat plate so I had to dremel that flat as well, and also cut some of the rubber off the sole.

Finally got everything in place and took a test spin in my parking lot but the cleat wouldn't clip firmly. J.B. Weld did you experience this? Not sure if a new cleat will help...it's a bit worn but had no problem in the original position.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Success! I just had to cut some more rubber back to fit the pedal. This was a lot more work than I expected and I got good use out of my new rotary tool.

Animation Curtain Fiction Fictional character

This is probably easier on some shoe designs than others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.