Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some specialized Sport MTB shoes a while back, my first pair of clipless. When I bought them I tried on several pair, and I kept having either tight on my heel and too tight in the toe box or perfect in the toe and slipping heel. The salesguy said because the soles were so stiff the heel would slip some while standing, but not while riding. No biggie I thought.

Well, trails are getting tougher and I find myself sometimes climbing up rather than riding up, and the slipping heels are driving me nuts. I have always had trouble finding shoes to fit my feet. Nike has always worked best in running shoes, but all the Nike shoes were road shoes.

I have tried putting this little pad above the heel in the back of the shoe, some Dr. Sholes thing. I tried yesterday putting an insole under just my heel to bring it up some, but that only made it worse. If I had ties I might be able to adjust it, but the three velcro straps aren't doing it for me. Any ideas on how I can make these shoes work better? I can't really afford another pair right now.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
24601 said:
When I bought them I tried on several pair, and I kept having either tight on my heel and too tight in the toe box or perfect in the toe and slipping heel.
Do you have narrow feet? My feet are very narrow - I even have to add insoles to some manufacturers narrow models. SIDI's narrow models are the only ones that fit from the factory, and I have to ratchet them down all the way.

What kind of insoles did you get? I have had the best luck with the "athletic" ones from Wal Mart. It's a lot more arch support than some of the ones that are just flat pieces of foam. Looks like a jogging shoe insole. I always pull out the factory insole and just use the wally-world ones.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My heel is skinny, my toes normal. Made for a great running foot back in high school.

I used an older athletic type insole I stole out of the golf shoes I never wear. I trimmed it to just the arch/heel area as it made the toes squished.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Are you using Specialized's goofy insole? They didn't work for me on my Comps so I replaced them with Superfeet footbeds. I actually took my insoles with me and replaced the Specialized insoles with mine before I tried them on. The Comps sound a little different than the Sports because my Comps have laces and velcro straps. With my narrow heal I've found shoes fit better if the heal sits deeper in the shoe, rather than higher. You might try one of the thinnest Superfeet insoles (green I think) or an insole that only covers the front 2/3rds of the footbed (no heel) to lower your heel in the heelcup, along with a pad around the back of the heel.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
buy spenco rubber insole !

Dr. Shole insole is useless. I have the same problem. The best solution is to buy the spenco rubber insole. You have to buy it from a camping store. I bought the spenco with arch support since all MTB shoes lack this feature. The spenco insole is washable and reusable. My feet have better grip now and they don't slip anymore.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I used to sell Spenco when I worked at Champs in college. I think I'll head out to some sporting goods store this weekend. The LBS I go to is pretty small and doesn't carry insoles.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
24601 said:
I think I used to sell Spenco when I worked at Champs in college. I think I'll head out to some sporting goods store this weekend. The LBS I go to is pretty small and doesn't carry insoles.
Any kind of insole will probably be thicker than the stock insole, which will promote heel-lift. The Dr. Scholl's product you tried, was it the oval-shaped sticky thing that you put on the inside of the heel cup? If that didn't work, then you could try adding a couple of layers of Moleskin to take up space. It's a jimmy-rig, so that might not help either.

Do your shoes have a ratcheting top strap or is it velcro? It's easier to cinch down on the ratchet/buckle type, which makes them more effective in keeping your heel down. You could also look for a shoe with more of a rocker-bottom sole, or you get one with a more flexible sole. The 3/4 ankle height shoes, while not very racy, also help reduce heel-lift.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Go to a local shoe store and buy ...

24601 said:
I bought some specialized Sport MTB shoes a while back, my first pair of clipless. When I bought them I tried on several pair, and I kept having either tight on my heel and too tight in the toe box or perfect in the toe and slipping heel. The salesguy said because the soles were so stiff the heel would slip some while standing, but not while riding. No biggie I thought.

Well, trails are getting tougher and I find myself sometimes climbing up rather than riding up, and the slipping heels are driving me nuts. I have always had trouble finding shoes to fit my feet. Nike has always worked best in running shoes, but all the Nike shoes were road shoes.

I have tried putting this little pad above the heel in the back of the shoe, some Dr. Sholes thing. I tried yesterday putting an insole under just my heel to bring it up some, but that only made it worse. If I had ties I might be able to adjust it, but the three velcro straps aren't doing it for me. Any ideas on how I can make these shoes work better? I can't really afford another pair right now.
some heel inserts. Many shoe stores carry a suede insert that has a sticky backing, to correct for loose heel fit.

I have narrow heels too. Over the years, I have used the inserts on a couple pair of shoes, when I could not get a good heel fit.

The inserts stick to the inside back of the shoe, just at the edge of the openning where you insert you foot. They keep your heel from sliding up and down against the back of the shoe.

old_dude

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.