Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious under what condition a shock would top out. I'm thinking of putting a CCDB on my Blur LT, and I found a deal on a shock that is 0.25" too long. There is almost enough space behind the carbon top link and the seat tube. I'm just wondering what makes a shock top out, and if the shock would ever extend over its defined stroke.

Thanks,

Ming

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
If it's a quarter inch too long, you probably won't have enough stroke length. All around a bad idea. The bike is designed to sit in it's travel in the sag position at a specific point in the rear wheel arc. Even if you did find a shock that was a quarter inch too long, and gave the 2.25 inch stroke length (assuming the blur stroke length is 2 inch), it would still be funky or hit at top out.
As for when the bike will top out, it could still be limited by the shock, or it could be when the rear triangle hits the seat tube. Or when some link hits somewhere.
The shorter answer is: Don't do it. Get the correct length shock with the correct stroke length.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's a quarter inch too long, you probably won't have enough stroke length. All around a bad idea. The bike is designed to sit in it's travel in the sag position at a specific point in the rear wheel arc. Even if you did find a shock that was a quarter inch too long, and gave the 2.25 inch stroke length (assuming the blur stroke length is 2 inch), it would still be funky or hit at top out.
As for when the bike will top out, it could still be limited by the shock, or it could be when the rear triangle hits the seat tube. Or when some link hits somewhere.
The shorter answer is: Don't do it. Get the correct length shock with the correct stroke length.
I have found some people running a 8.75 x 2.75" shock on Santa Cruz Nomad frames when it's designed for a 8.5 x 2.5" shock. Santa Cruz even sent out a few Nomads with a 2.75" shock. The only concern those owners had was the lower link could possibly use a bit of material removal. In terms of performance, no one said positive things.

I haven't heard anyone doing this on a Blur LT, because there isn't too much room between the top link and the seat tube, but there might be 1/4" there.

The CCDB is already in the mail, and I got it for a price that I can quickly resell if needed, so I'm not TOO worried.

So would a shock top out when you're off the seat? I would imagine sitting/standing on the bike would always keep the shock somewhere within its stroke?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
If the mounting i2i is .25 inch too long it would make a very high BB, like over 1/2 inch higher and jack the frame angles much steeper.

If the only the stroke is .25 too long, the bottom travel can be shortened with split plastic washers (and air volume shims, or firm enough coil) to prevent seat tube rub at bottom travel. Here's a post on doing it yourself http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-ne...ttom-out-shim-seat-tube-clearance-623853.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.