Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Haro Shift R3 and I'm looking to upgrade the shocks. The front is an SR Suntour 120mm and a 7.875in X-Fusion coil in the back. I had my eye on a Manitou Swinger 3way for the back and I have a good deal on a lightly used '04 "MZ Comp" (Marzocchi Comp, maybe the MX comp?) but its only 100mm.

I was probably going to buy the MZ and try it and if I don't like it, I'll put it on my Fuji Thrill commuter bike.

I don't think the 100mm will be that much different from the 120 on the Suntour because its pretty soft right now.

What do you guys think? I was also checking out used Manitou Minute :02's or even older Rockshox Pyslo's. All the shocks I'm looking at for the front are good condition second hand. If anybody has anything not listed in the classifieds that they want to sell and fits what I'm looking for, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Oh, lastly, I'm 150lbs and I'm doing XC riding, no drops bigger than a foot or so.
Here's my bike

and its clipless now

·
Registered
52 Posts
Steer away from the Mz Comp, it´s an elastomer-fork, not oil.

You want a MxComp, Marzocchis best budgetfork.
They´re available with either coil or air(easiest to tune to your weight, no springchange).

If the Suntour fork is really soft as you say, a 105mm MxComp Air would probably work, Marzocchis forks are known to run pretty high compared to Fox, Manitou and Rockshox.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I'll avoid the MZ comp and I'm keeping my eyes open for used MX's.

What other options are out there for a 120mm fork? I like the Minute's, but there aren't too many for sale and I want to stay under $150. How about the Black by Manitou? I've read that the rapid wind down mechanism is garbage, but I'd probably just set it at 120mm and leave it. I don't believe the Black comes with SPV, right?

What benefits does the Minute :02 have over the :01? I believe the 02 is air and the 01 is coil, am I right?

What are some options from Rockshox?

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,818 Posts
Andy Bro said:
ok, I'll avoid the MZ comp and I'm keeping my eyes open for used MX's.

What other options are out there for a 120mm fork? I like the Minute's, but there aren't too many for sale and I want to stay under $150. How about the Black by Manitou? I've read that the rapid wind down mechanism is garbage, but I'd probably just set it at 120mm and leave it. I don't believe the Black comes with SPV, right?

What benefits does the Minute :02 have over the :01? I believe the 02 is air and the 01 is coil, am I right?

What are some options from Rockshox?
I would stay away from the Manitou Black,,,,,,,,garbage is an understatement. You can't go wrong with a MX Comp.....maybe even a Rockshox Toro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.