Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd have to say it's been very Shocking switching from a FS, 29er to a Ridged, Karate Monkey Single Speed. I'm thinking about mounting up some 2.3 Exi's, for a little less pressure, and more "Cush". I just got it this week, and haven't taken it to the trails yet, just some Downtown Urban Adventure rides (a.k.a. Black Top & Concrete). I've got a flip-flop hub so I can go Fixie won't that be a treat this weekend.

I ride a fixie road bike a lot and I've learned a new technique to Bunny Hop up small curbs. While that may not sound earth shattering, it is on a fixie because you just can't coast up to the curb with your pedals level and pull the front wheel up. Sometimes with a fixie at the point you have to pull up, your cranks get in the 12 o'clock-6 o'clock position . . . bad for bunny hopping. My new technique is almost like a combo reverse bunny hop/front wheel manual. Before I get to the curb I lay on the front brake a bit ( . . . a bit . . . ) and pull my back wheel off the ground just higher than the curb (the front wheel manual part), then I yank the front wheel on top the curb while the the back wheel is still in the air. I do say the back wheel does slam down pretty hard, but it will get you over stuff that would other wise give you a pinch flat. It's an acquired technique that I have far from mastered, but it's a start.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Interesting take on the fixed bunny hop...that's a technique I haven't tried yet. I can get up normal curbs as long as I'm not going over about 10mph....after that it gets pretty hairy.

It's amazing watching what some folks can do after they've spent years riding fixed gears in an urban environment. I see guys in Los Angeles all the time that can bunnyhop curbs head on at full speed. I'm talking barreling downhill at 30mph+ hopping curs...mind boggling.

B

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Fixed gear on Dirt. Ugh, wow.

I just tried a fixed cog on the other side of my ENO hub, and I have to say it's a blast. Easier than I expected, and really really fun.

I usually ride a 19, so I put a 17 on the fixed side, thinking I would like to ride it to the trails, but I wasn't expecting to like it ON the trails. My first ride, I took a long route through the park with a little fire road, and some paved parts, just getting inthe groove, you know. I made it up all the hills easier than I had expected, maybe becausea I had that much more speed going in with the higher gearing. Well, a couple hours on the bike, and I needed lunch, so I headed home on my usual single track, which happens to have a couple of rutted steeper sections. Nothing I really think about on my regualr bike, but they were pretty challenging on the fixie. I was trying to avoid the brake (front only) and teh sensation of slowing with the legs was just weird. Kinda like running backwards down a steep hill with a backpack. I got to the point where I could make some pretty decent skids, but not really lock it up. My legs were on fire, but still my feet went round and round.

In the afternoon, I took another rolling recovery kind of a ride, pretty flat, but faster and longer than the first. It included some pavement as well, since I was avoiding the longest hill. I got home in time to meet up with my neighbors' kid and he made me ride another three or four miles with him on his "new" dumpster found 20". What a day!

I could hardly stand up the next day. My legs, especially my knees and my quads felt like I ran a marathon in the mud. Still, I'm taking it easier, but really enjoying it. I set up both brakes and that helps a lot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
about 3 inchs

donkey said:
Interesting take on the fixed bunny hop...that's a technique I haven't tried yet. I can get up normal curbs as long as I'm not going over about 10mph....after that it gets pretty hairy.

It's amazing watching what some folks can do after they've spent years riding fixed gears in an urban environment. I see guys in Los Angeles all the time that can bunnyhop curbs head on at full speed. I'm talking barreling downhill at 30mph+ hopping curs...mind boggling.

B
I can only use it going slow and I only get about 2-3 inchs of height. I discovered it when I was going across a bridge and came up on an uneven joint that was sure to be a pinch flat and that just happened. I couldn't believe it. I had to go back and do it a couple more times. You got to be going fast enough though to clear the top or you slam you back wheel into the top of what your jumping. I used to be able to Bunny hop stuff 32" - 36" on my BMX bike. But with that you have the luxury of a Low seat, and the ability to coast up to the object with pedals at 9 o'clock - 3 o'clock. When I first tried bunyy hopping on a MTB I would alway jam the seat up my arse, and I'd have to lower it for triack, but I learned to work around it some. I can get about 12" -15" on my SS. If I could get my butt behind the seat I could get more.

With the fixe it's all about timing the pedal have to be at near 9 - 3. When it's at 12-6 you have nothing to pull your bike into. You just gotta kinda heave it up the best you can.

I plan having my first fixie ride this weekend. I'm sure it will be a culture "Shock".

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,029 Posts
Hexonxonx said:
I can only use it going slow and I only get about 2-3 inchs of height. I discovered it when I was going across a bridge and came up on an uneven joint that was sure to be a pinch flat and that just happened. I couldn't believe it. I had to go back and do it a couple more times. You got to be going fast enough though to clear the top or you slam you back wheel into the top of what your jumping. I used to be able to Bunny hop stuff 32" - 36" on my BMX bike. But with that you have the luxury of a Low seat, and the ability to coast up to the object with pedals at 9 o'clock - 3 o'clock. When I first tried bunyy hopping on a MTB I would alway jam the seat up my arse, and I'd have to lower it for triack, but I learned to work around it some. I can get about 12" -15" on my SS. If I could get my butt behind the seat I could get more.

With the fixe it's all about timing the pedal have to be at near 9 - 3. When it's at 12-6 you have nothing to pull your bike into. You just gotta kinda heave it up the best you can.

I plan having my first fixie ride this weekend. I'm sure it will be a culture "Shock".
Excuse me because I'm mostly fixie ignorant, but it seems like fixie hopping would be a good candidate for the "pedal-up" technique I use for trials. It's like a bunnyhop but more dynamic because you pedal into it rather than coast. I imagine on a fixie, setting up to have your power foot coming down at an appropriate distance from the obstacle would be the most important aspect of pulling it off.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I usually just "hobby horse" it - pull up the front end while seated and set the front wheel on the curb (or whatever obstacle), and then push my body forward quickly, which brings the rear end up. When the rear end comes up, you can stop pedaling for a moment until the rear tire taps back down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts