Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would having a shock with a 2.25" stroke and the same eye to eye have any advantages? Disadvantages?
The reason I ask is because my Kona Coilair has this shock and I will only use the Kona for FR/URBAN or lift service once the Mojo is done, and I might put a coil shock on the Kona.

Any thoughts to a longer stroke?
'
Thanks A

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ddraewwg said:
Can not do. The tire will bash into the seattube upon compression. Not a good idea.
The Lopes link (if you one on) will probably crush the frame before the tire hits - it comes darn close now, even makes a mark already as some have reported.

No Go :nono: or trouble awaits...

·
Clyde
264 Posts
Add a Bumper?

Can a bumper be added to limit the travel from 2.25 to 2.0? I have a Van 15qr up love if over the float RLC it replaced. thought it might be nice to have a Van or DHX 3.0 coil on the back for down hill days. The coil up front seems to be a good match for my 230lb trail wieght.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
As long as total shock length isn't any longer than stock - 200mm I believe, a bumper will work.I've done this on my KTM dirt bike for winter mountain riding, we run 3/8 x 2" carrage bolts in the rear tires for some serious packed & deep snow hook up.I make an extra bumper from a hockey puck so the bolts don't turn the rear fender & airbox into spagetti.Get a hole saw to create the OD of the bumper,a regular drill bit will work for the ID.You don't have to remove the shock shaft from the body, just cut a slit in the bumper & slide it over the shock shaft underneath your current bumper.Because this bumper is going to be so thin you may want to bond it to your current bumper.Remove the spring & then check shock travel, as you already now no more than 50mm shock stroke.:thumbsup:

·
Clyde
264 Posts
push or pushless

Good point if it was headed to Push.

XC71's solution is quick, easy and cheap. I like it. I only have a few hard downhill days a year. I will give this a run first.

Personally I would want to ride it for a while Pushless until i could describe to them what I would want to have done. What it's doing and what you would like changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.