Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2005 trance 2 secondhand but I'd like to upgrade the shock to a RP23.
Would there be any problem with the length of a standard shock or do you have to get one
ordered through Giant to match the frame?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
6.5"length x1.5" stroke are the dimensions you'll need to know to buy a replacement shock for the Trance. It will fit back fine, however the hardware from the previous shock may not work back - the reducers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you currently, have a Float R? If so, I must say that I wouldn't uograde the shock.
Up to this week, I had 2 '05 Trances with Float R and RP3?
To be honest, I don't feel the RP3's adjustable platform makes a great difference in performance (in Maestro at least). I mean, you can feel the differences in the 3 settings, but they are not that big.
I tested an RP3 on a Heckler, and on it the RP3 was definatly worth the $$$.

I think would send the Float to Push, to be dialed in, rather then upgrading to RP23.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I've heard similar comments a few times now and it makes me wonder :confused: I mean I know that suspension designs vary greatly and that the Maestro system really works, but is it so vast a difference or is it that manufacturers are using the OEM option of different RP3 shocks for their particular suspension design - As I have heard you can get 3 different Pro PEdal settings for OEM shocks. I wonder as I'm really considering upgrading the FloatR on my Trance to either an RP3 on close out or an RP23. All I want is really two distinct settings - one plushish for general riding and DH type stuff and one stiffer for climbing and road.

Up to this week, I had 2 '05 Trances with Float R and RP3?
To be honest, I don't feel the RP3's adjustable platform makes a great difference in performance (in Maestro at least). I mean, you can feel the differences in the 3 settings, but they are not that big.
I tested an RP3 on a Heckler, and on it the RP3 was definatly worth the $$$.

I think would send the Float to Push, to be dialed in, rather then upgrading to RP23.

Just my $0.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.