Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, getting back into riding again, dusted off the old '95 Super V and am throwing some small updates at it. The original headshock is still on it so pretty much anything would be an upgrade, even a headshock fatty. Anyway, a couple quesitons... what is a decent "cheap" (but good) shock I should look for, it's an old bike so I don't want to throw to much into it... Next, what specifics do I need to look for as far as steering tube sizing and such? I do want it to be disc brake adaptable.

Thanks!
Buddy P
MI/IN border

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Take note of your shock's dimensions, the mounting eye-to-eye and shock stroke measurements. And look on ebay or mtbr or craigslist for an RP23 (best) or RP3 (better) or Float-R (good) of the same dimensions. A barely used RP23 goes for about $250 the others much less. The original Alps (I’m guessing) was a good shock, the Float and RP shocks are smoother in the top out - mostly noticeable during faster downhill riding, and have more compression damping to stabilize bob and wallow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.