Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current shock that came with the Enduro must be a custom made one for Specialized. I've been looking online for an upgrade rear shock and can't find one that fits its size specifications, which are 7.625"x2.0" The Fox RL with pro-pedal only comes in 7.875"x2.0" or 2.5"x2.0" that I can find. Could I use either of these? Suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
fshnmn said:
My current shock that came with the Enduro must be a custom made one for Specialized. I've been looking online for an upgrade rear shock and can't find one that fits its size specifications, which are 7.625"x2.0" The Fox RL with pro-pedal only comes in 7.875"x2.0" or 2.5"x2.0" that I can find. Could I use either of these? Suggestions?
I'd buy a Fox rp3 7.875 x 2.0. I had my first real off-road ride with this shock last weekend, and loved it! I had the stock shock on my 04 enduro setup in the 70 degree headangle with the 13.5bb. If you buy the 7.875 x 2.0 shock, just flip your horst link over for the 69 degree headtube with the 12.5bb height and it will only ride 1/16th of an inch higher than the stock shock in the 70degree 13.5bb setting. If this is confusing, private message or e-mail me, and i'll try and explain it better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you..

mtnbiker1973 said:
I'd buy a Fox rp3 7.875 x 2.0. I had my first real off-road ride with this shock last weekend, and loved it! I had the stock shock on my 04 enduro setup in the 70 degree headangle with the 13.5bb. If you buy the 7.875 x 2.0 shock, just flip your horst link over for the 69 degree headtube with the 12.5bb height and it will only ride 1/16th of an inch higher than the stock shock in the 70degree 13.5bb setting. If this is confusing, private message or e-mail me, and i'll try and explain it better.
I forgot about the flip/flop link. I set it to the 13.2" bb height vs the 12.8" when I first put it together. It would seem to me that the 7.825" shock wouldn't fit without being mildly compressed when you install it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
fshnmn said:
I forgot about the flip/flop link. I set it to the 13.2" bb height vs the 12.8" when I first put it together. It would seem to me that the 7.825" shock wouldn't fit without being mildly compressed when you install it?
The shock wouldn't need to be compressed for installation, it would just jack up the head tube angle and bottom bracket height even further, therefore possibly making the bike ride and handle different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Fox makes an OEM RP3 to fit the 2005 Enduro Comp which is the same frame a you have. You just need to order it direct from Fox, call 1-800-FOX-SHOX ext 6505 and talk to Jason. Otherwise going to a 7.875" shock will be fine if you run .25" more sag to keep the geometry in check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
punkassean said:
Fox makes an OEM RP3 to fit the 2005 Enduro Comp which is the same frame a you have. You just need to order it direct from Fox, call 1-800-FOX-SHOX ext 6505 and talk to Jason. Otherwise going to a 7.875" shock will be fine if you run .25" more sag to keep the geometry in check.
You might wanna check again with fox. They DO NOT offer a 7.625"x2.0" rp3 for the enduro. That special length fits only the 02-04 enduros and 05 130 enduros and is made specifically for specialized. I researched this alot with more than fox shox before my purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
How do you think an Enduro owner gets a replacement shock? From Fox or direct from Specialized. Call Jason and he will fill you in, or call Specialized and ask them how they suggest getting a replacement shock for an '05 Enduro Comp. If it came on the bike, a replacement can be had, they have to offer spare parts plain and simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Same issue

Just ordered a suspension upgrade for my 03 Specialized Enduro Expert. Replacing the OEM Psylo SL fork with a 05 TALAS 130 RLC and the OEM ITCH shock with a 05 RP3 (7.875 x 2.00). Jason at Fox said the RP3 warranty will be voided once I put it on the Enduro. Believe I'm willing to take the chance. Per mtnbkr1973, assume flipping the link from the current 70 degree setting to the 69 degree setting will help balance out the longer shock. Further assume extending the TALAS to 130 (normally run the Psylo at 122) will further bring bike back into OEM balance. Wanted a higher BB anyway. Can anyone else comment on the performance of an RP3 (7.875 x 2.00) on a 03 Enduro? Concerned about the RP3 breaking or adversely altering the geometry. I still have time to cancel the order (its backordered). Yes - backup plan is to send the OEM shock to PUSH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
punkassean said:
How do you think an Enduro owner gets a replacement shock? From Fox or direct from Specialized. Call Jason and he will fill you in, or call Specialized and ask them how they suggest getting a replacement shock for an '05 Enduro Comp. If it came on the bike, a replacement can be had, they have to offer spare parts plain and simple.
I tried every route possible. FOX has NO shocks that fit an Enduro (OEM size). I was told by more than 1 person at fox that specialized bought all that were made. I'm not saying you can't get an OEM shock (7.625"x2.0"), I'm saying fox has NEVER made an rp3 that size. They were float r with propedal with the itch switch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
Voyager said:
Just ordered a suspension upgrade for my 03 Specialized Enduro Expert. Replacing the OEM Psylo SL fork with a 05 TALAS 130 RLC and the OEM ITCH shock with a 05 RP3 (7.875 x 2.00). Jason at Fox said the RP3 warranty will be voided once I put it on the Enduro. Believe I'm willing to take the chance. Per mtnbkr1973, assume flipping the link from the current 70 degree setting to the 69 degree setting will help balance out the longer shock. Further assume extending the TALAS to 130 (normally run the Psylo at 122) will further bring bike back into OEM balance. Wanted a higher BB anyway. Can anyone else comment on the performance of an RP3 (7.875 x 2.00) on a 03 Enduro? Concerned about the RP3 breaking or adversely altering the geometry. I still have time to cancel the order (its backordered). Yes - backup plan is to send the OEM shock to PUSH.
You can still run any travel you want on the front of that bike. *In my opinion*, anything less than 125mm or 130mm just doesn't ride the way *I* like it. The RP3 will not adversely affect your geometry if you flip the link over to the 69 degree side, unless you ran your oem float in that configuration, in which case it will raise the bottom bracket height, and steepen your headtube angle. I think the rp3 should be oem just because it helps the horst link rear bob even less. :)
 

·
melon farmer
Joined
·
567 Posts
fshnmn said:
My current shock that came with the Enduro must be a custom made one for Specialized. I've been looking online for an upgrade rear shock and can't find one that fits its size specifications, which are 7.625"x2.0" The Fox RL with pro-pedal only comes in 7.875"x2.0" or 2.5"x2.0" that I can find. Could I use either of these? Suggestions?
I've just swapped the stock Float on my 03 Enduro to an 04 Float AVA with ProPedal - despite Specialized listing the stock Itch shock as 7.625" X 2.0" the travel is actually slightly shorter than this according to the Australian Fox service centre. Upgrading to this new AVA Float (7.875 X 2.0") and flipping the link to the slacker head angle maintains (close to) the original geometry... and gives about 5.5" of rear wheel travel. The difference between the two shocks is HUGE - far more linear spring rate with the AVA wound all the way out, and much less pedal-induced bob. You can also run slightly lower shock pressures with the ProPedal damping, which may compensate for the extra 5mm in shock length...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did it work out..?

Fieldgate said:
Tim Flooks here in the UK sells a 5th Element upgrade/replace. 7.875 * 2
(on offer at the moment at £255)
I'm curious to hear back from those who have tried putting an alternate sized shock on their Enduro rather than the 7.625"x2.0" which it comes with. I contacted Specialized and they don't recomend it. The suggested contacting Push Industries and having my shock rebuilt with propedal.
 

·
MattSavage
Joined
·
2,481 Posts
You'd be way better off having it Push'd than buying something new aftermarket. I'm not sure how that would affect the Itch switch, you might have to lose it, but it'll still be better than buying a new Float or RP3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Fshnmn,
I will write a review regarding the RP3 (7.875 x 2.00) mounted on a 2003 Specialized Enduro Expert once it arrives. In order to determine the differences, I took some before measurements and photos (OEM 7.625x2.0 shock mounted on bike). When it gets here, I will take some after measurements and photos (RP3 7.875 x 2.00 shock mounted on same bike). I will also review the ride characteristics. I am matching it to a 2005 TALAS 130 RLC and welcome the higher BB height. Also welcome the adjustability of the RP3 (although I still may send the OEM shock to PUSH). Understand the manufacturer’s reluctance to support non-OEM sized hardware, but think this is going to work well.
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Push Reply

Cool deal Voyager, I look forward to hearing how it works out for you. Push Ind. replied letting me know that what I was interested in is called their Factory Tuning Kit and it costs $150 + S.H. Hmmm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
definitely use the PUSH option

I've got a PUSH'd shock on my Enduro, and have recommended several other Enduro owners to do the same. The PUSH internals make the iTch Switch as unneccessary as the lockout; we all climb the uphill switchies with the shocks set at the "long travel" option, and they work great. In addition to the usual performance upgrades- better seals, custom "platform" designed for your weight, your bike, and you riding style, now it'll have their new-for-2005 internal modifications, These are damping changes designed for the new RP3, but they'll work in your old 2003 shock (or earlier) as well! For me, PUSH has made all the difference for my bike, and I unhesitatingly recommend it to anyone, especially if you're on an Enduro. If it was possible to spend $150 on a new Romic, RP3, 5th E, or Swinger, that'd be great. But, you can't, and the PUSH mod certainly works as well as any of these options, if not better.

http://www,pushindustries.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
Fshnmn

Read above-there is a shorrt review on the rp3 on my enduro. I may add that I can in fact feel the difference between the three settings of pro pedal. I kept it in the firm setting on fire roads, middle setting on the ups, and plush setting on the downs. I think it was worth the money for the upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Sounds like there are a lot of satisfied PUSH customers out there, and it's probably a good way to go for many people. However, there were some additional benefits for me in buying a new RP3 instead of PUSHing my current shock. So what else did my additional $200 buy me? I now own 2 complete shocks. There is value in having an operational spare - no down time for service or repair. I also have the adjustability of turning the platform on or off based on trail conditions or mood. I lost 64 grams (you could easily spend $100 trying to lose 64 grams). And I realized a cost avoidance by having deferred bushing and reducer maintenance for a complete cycle. Caveat - not having access to back to back rides of a PUSH equipped bike and an RP3 equipped bike, I have purposely left out any subjective comparison as to which shock actually performs better. Assume both are very capable performers, but I'll leave that assessment to those who have actually experienced both. And ofcourse the option exists to get the RP3 PUSHed at it's service cycle next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
marcus_dukakis said:
I've just swapped the stock Float on my 03 Enduro to an 04 Float AVA with ProPedal - despite Specialized listing the stock Itch shock as 7.625" X 2.0" the travel is actually slightly shorter than this according to the Australian Fox service centre. Upgrading to this new AVA Float (7.875 X 2.0") and flipping the link to the slacker head angle maintains (close to) the original geometry... and gives about 5.5" of rear wheel travel. The difference between the two shocks is HUGE - far more linear spring rate with the AVA wound all the way out, and much less pedal-induced bob. You can also run slightly lower shock pressures with the ProPedal damping, which may compensate for the extra 5mm in shock length...
how did you figure that the new shock will give you 5.5" of travel? can you give us the math?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top