Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's a very adjustable shock so you should be able to get the HSC, LSC and rebound dialled in. If the shock is off an sb6c you will probably need to dial out the HSC and LSC a bit for the Wreckoning. If you have those dials fully open and there is still too much compression damping it would need retuned. I think will you will likely need the Hydraulic Bottom Out control retuned as this can't be adjusted externally. The Wreckoning is very progressive towards the end of the shock stroke so doesn't need much bottom out control compared to the sb6c so you may find your full stroke is a bit limited with an abrupt end with the yeti tune.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the shock is off an SB6C, you'd actually need more compression damping. From the leverage ratio curves I just found, the Wreckoning has a much higher leverage ratio than the SB6C in the first 50% of the travel. It's also higher throughout the second half of the travel, but not as drastic.

Since the wheel will now have more leverage over the shock, you'd need to firm up compression damping to not be blowing through the travel.

The opposite is true in rebound - Since the shock now has less leverage when pushing back against the wheel in rebound, you should theoretically need to open that up a bit.

Regardless, that shock should most likely have enough adjustment range to get you dialed without needing a revalve.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the shock is off an SB6C, you'd actually need more compression damping. From the leverage ratio curves I just found, the Wreckoning has a much higher leverage ratio than the SB6C in the first 50% of the travel. It's also higher throughout the second half of the travel, but not as drastic.

Since the wheel will now have more leverage over the shock, you'd need to firm up compression damping to not be blowing through the travel.

The opposite is true in rebound - Since the shock now has less leverage when pushing back against the wheel in rebound, you should theoretically need to open that up a bit.

Regardless, that shock should most likely have enough adjustment range to get you dialed without needing a revalve.
THANKS... like so much maintenance, there's an art and science to all of this and I appreciate the feedback and the sharing of expertise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
THANKS... like so much maintenance, there's an art and science to all of this and I appreciate the feedback and the sharing of expertise.
Wait... the more I think about this, I think I could be wrong here, and nel coule be right. With a higher leverage ratio, we know the shock stroke is now moving less for the same amount of wheel travel - But I'm not necessarily sure if this means you'd want to open up that compression damping to more easily allow movement, or if my original train of thought was correct. I'm still inclined to stick with my original comment, as if it were the opposite, and the shock was traveling more for the same amount of wheel travel (lower leverage ratio), I'm fairly certain you'd want to open up that compression circuit to more easily allow oil flow, since the piston is traveling back and forth over a greater distance.

Either way, take my word with a grain of salt as I'm just some guy on the internet. You'll probably have enough adjustment range anyway.

·
Boom bap ambassador
734 Posts
I'm not sure you are going to run into issues until you hit the far edges of the thing...say the Storia was tuned for someone at 300 pounds and you are 150 pounds (or vice versa) or maybe at the far ends of the performance scale you might notice (say it was tuned for Johnny or Suzie Huck-o-Matic and that isn't you).

I can't say I found the Storia to be heavily biased on a tune but in my case same rider weight, same rider style, two frames (Insurgent and Mojo 4 HD) and I wasn't able to find that edge where I felt like 'damn, the Insurgent tune is causing me issues here'.

Let er rip I say and see if you can find that sticky edge and if you do then you should look at a tune but otherwise life is short and bust a move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts