Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the strongest 6.5 inch shock out there?including aftermarket. Im thinking either the fox rc 6.5 inch with piggyback resevoir, or a romic with titanium shaft, what are these rear shocks suitable for?

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
potvinwannab said:
What is the strongest 6.5 inch shock out there?including aftermarket. Im thinking either the fox rc 6.5 inch with piggyback resevoir, or a romic with titanium shaft, what are these rear shocks suitable for?
strength? are you using it for a trailer tire chock? dude you have to elaborate on what you mean by strength. people go big on all sorts of rear shocks man.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Do you mean the rigidity of the body? Durability of the seals? Quality of the dampening?

As for quality, Avalanche Racing is the way to go.

RCs are outdated. Romics are alright. The shaft isn't Titanium, it might have a Ti spring.

G

·
Hits?

You still have to be more specific, are you looking for a shock for huge hucks and drops, downhill courses, gaps etc....What bike is going on?

There is no great shock out there, some people like the dhx, some like the 5th element and others like romic or avy or manitou, it depends mostly on the rider and what they want to do. If you set the shock up correctly then its going to work well for whatever application you chose. If not its going to ride like crap.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will this romic take the 6 footers or so i want it to?

https://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/95/0f/86_1.JPG[IMG]

Description:Romic rear shock for full suspension mountain bike. 6.5 inches by 1.5 inches with a titanium nitride shaft. Lightweight and strong. Compression and rebound adjustments. Custom valved.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
nano5467 said:
i was gonna help but u just said "lolz" so nvm
HAHAHAHA!

And to the OP. The more and more I ride I'm finding out people are buying stuff WAY out of their league. I'm very guilty myself too.
Anyways, my point is, for 6-10ft drops, most mid. level shocks will hang in there fine, you don't need to spend an arm and a leg for the latest and greatest. Pick up a Vanilla RC if you can find a good deal, or something around the same price range. I'm sure you will be more than happy and never even come close to maxing out the shocks proformance.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
hey im a heavy rider and plus there is always room for improvement so i would rather gofor the highest quality possible and work my way up to giving it a run for my money then starting of with some rock shox deluxe, mving to sum air shock, then to a dhx or equivalent, it would be cheaper, faster and more enjoyable to go streight to whatever is best available, im still vary young and am not looking forward to stopping at one ride style

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
potvinwannab said:
hey im a heavy rider and plus there is always room for improvement so i would rather gofor the highest quality possible and work my way up to giving it a run for my money then starting of with some rock shox deluxe, mving to sum air shock, then to a dhx or equivalent, it would be cheaper, faster and more enjoyable to go streight to whatever is best available, im still vary young and am not looking forward to stopping at one ride style
I hear you, I'm 230lbs, so I have big guy phobia with my equiptment. I just picked up a Demo 9 and a 888RC2X because I was scared to crack a frame or break my fork. I was just pointing out that the more I ride the less I think I needed that big of a bike or that nice of a fork. I bet I would be fine back on a Bighit with a Super T & Vanilla R (but I'd NEVER give up my setup, it's the best feeling bike I've ever ridden. And who knows, maybe one day I'll be good enough to push the bikes limits) I was just saying that most DECENT equiptment will work perfictly for the avrage, non-pro level, rider.
Anyways, I'd go for a Vanilla RC, and if you don't like the feeling of the shock, send it to PUSH and have them custom valve and tune it for you. I hear that they can make the RC feel just as good as a DHX.

1 - 20 of 290 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.