Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Team Mistermoonbikes
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am from Spain, sorry for my bad english :D

Now, I have a 2006 Helius FR, but I am waiting for my new 2008 Helius FR, and I am looking for a new shock, and I prefer air, because I will use this bike in maxiavalanches and megavalanches, and I prefer a low weight.

The questions...

Why the size for the coil shocks is 200 and the size for de air shocks (Rock Shox Pearl) is 223? I don't understand why two differents shock sizes with the same frame. I think that the rear travel (167 in theory) is increased with the 223 size.
This size of 223, is the correct for all the air shocks, or is only correct for the Pearl?
Can I put a 215 Marzocchi roco tst air in my Helius FR?

I have used a 222 dhx5 air in the Helius FR whitout problems for one year.

Thanks a lot, and again, sorry for my bad english. ;)
 

·
Team Mistermoonbikes
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the set up of my new frame:

marzocchi 888 sl ata (put in 180mm)
cranks shimano xtr with rotor rings and blackspire chain guide
eggbeatter 2ti
gravity dropper
formula the one
rear derailleur and shift levers sram X.0 and front derailleur and casette shimano xtr
wheels dt ex 1750
handlebar easton monkey dh carbon
stem hope
....
 

·
lazy piston
Joined
·
373 Posts
Hola garypalmer:

The '08 Helius FR takes a 200x57 coil shock or a 200x50 air shock - that's all you can use on this frame. The info on the Nicolai site is most probably outdated.

¡Suerte!
 

·
Team Mistermoonbikes
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smith said:
Hola garypalmer:

The '08 Helius FR takes a 200x57 coil shock or a 200x50 air shock - that's all you can use on this frame. The info on the Nicolai site is most probably outdated.

¡Suerte!
OK thanks a lot.

But, 200x50 is not correct, is 200x57 or 190x50. It's a mistake?

I think that I will use a roco tst air 200x57.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:
 

·
lazy piston
Joined
·
373 Posts
garypalmer said:
But, 200x50 is not correct, is 200x57 or 190x50. It's a mistake?

I think that I will use a roco tst air 200x57.
Why is it incorrect? There are 200x50 shocks as well as 200x57.
The '08 FR is designed for an air shock with 200x50 dimensions, so you won't get optimal performance with a 200x57 air shock.
 

·
Team Mistermoonbikes
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smith said:
Why is it incorrect? There are 200x50 shocks as well as 200x57.
The '08 FR is designed for an air shock with 200x50 dimensions, so you won't get optimal performance with a 200x57 air shock.
Ok, thank you.

And, what is the rear travel with this shock (200x50), because I think that it will be less than 167mm.

I have a lot of troubles with the shock election.
 

·
lazy piston
Joined
·
373 Posts
garypalmer said:
And, what is the rear travel with this shock (200x50), because I think that it will be less than 167mm.
Don't worry. There are 2 holes on the swing-link (the little link that the shock is attached to). The upper hole is intended for an air shock with a shorter stroke (50 mm) while the lower hole is for a coil shock with a longer stroke (57 mm). Both options give you an equal amount or travel.

garypalmer said:
I have a lot of troubles with the shock election.
Yes, I can perfectly understand you :)
 

·
Team Mistermoonbikes
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smith said:
Don't worry. There are 2 holes on the swing-link (the little link that the shock is attached to). The upper hole is intended for an air shock with a shorter stroke (50 mm) while the lower hole is for a coil shock with a longer stroke (57 mm). Both options give you an equal amount or travel.

Yes, I can perfectly understand you :)
Oh, thank you very much!!

Finally, I think that I will buy a roco tst coil 200x57, I think that the Helius FR will works better with the coil shock.

:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Ill throw a spanner in the works.. even though i am running a CCDB and do love it I would say that the frame is so well engineered that you need minimal low speed compression dampening.. i run mine 2 clicks from fully off.

That would mean that a shock such as a Roco WC which only has high speed comp dampening could be a goer!

If your thinking about air I have also heard very good things about the ISX6!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Smith said:
Hola garypalmer:

The '08 Helius FR takes a 200x57 coil shock or a 200x50 air shock - that's all you can use on this frame. The info on the Nicolai site is most probably outdated.

¡Suerte!
hi,

I am surprise to read that.

I'm french and I ride a halius FR 07 like you. I ride actually with a DNM 200*57.

If you want to put an air shock like a PEARL, you schould use a 222mm like it's specified on the website : http://www.nicolai.net/products/sizechart/helius-fr-size.html

:confused:

a little picture of my one ;)

http://picasaweb.google.fr/bikes.of.vincent/NicolaiHeliusFR/photo#5217725810577890146
 

·
lazy piston
Joined
·
373 Posts
triplex said:
I'm french and I ride a halius FR 07 like you. I ride actually with a DNM 200*57.

If you want to put an air shock like a PEARL, you schould use a 222mm like it's specified on the website : https://www.nicolai.net/products/sizechart/helius-fr-size.html

:confused:

a little picture of my one ;)

https://picasaweb.google.fr/bikes.of.vincent/NicolaiHeliusFR/photo#5217725810577890146
Hi there!

The FR normally comes with a 200x57 shock as far as I know. But you can put a longer shock on this frame. For instance, even on Nicolai website the '07 Helius FR was pictured with a Pearl which is 222 mm long:



Notice the front shock mount position - it is moved forward a bit to allow a longer shock. Also I believe the shock is mounted in the second hole from top on the rocker link to allow full travel without seat tube/tire collision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Smith said:
Hi there!

The FR normally comes with a 200x57 shock as far as I know. But you can put a longer shock on this frame. For instance, even on Nicolai website the '07 Helius FR was pictured with a Pearl which is 222 mm long:



Notice the front shock mount position - it is moved forward a bit to allow a longer shock. Also I believe the shock is mounted in the second hole from top on the rocker link to allow full travel without seat tube/tire collision.
So I understand what you mean, On 07 models we have to move forward the hole position to keep the Geometry.

Look at this one :


I Think we must use a 222*57 because a 200*50 doesn't exist in air shock ? Am I wrong ?
 

·
lazy piston
Joined
·
373 Posts
triplex said:
So I understand what you mean, On 07 models we have to move forward the hole position to keep the Geometry.
Yes, and not only on a 07 FR but on all models which have adjustable front shock mount and travel, like previous FRs, Helius ST's and so on.

triplex said:
I Think we must use a 222*57 because a 200*50 doesn't exist in air shock ? Am I wrong ?
Why, I think there are 200x50 air shocks, 200x57 too.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top