Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2014 Devinci Dixon. It came with the newer Fox 5 piece hardware, but the upper rocker bolt would loosen and begin to creak after 2 or 3 rides with proper torque and liberal application of loctite on the rocker bolt threads.

I decided to try out the RWS needle bearing kit as a replacement. I emailed Real World Cycling and they recommend the 41.15mm kit. I recently learned, however, that the upper eyelet requires a 42.2mm spacing.

I've been running the RWS kit for 5 months or so of heavy riding, and I haven't noticed any issues. The bolt remains quiet and doesn't loosen, however, I'm slightly concerned about the loss of 1mm of reducer width between the rocker and what long term effects this might have on the frame or life of the rocker bearings.

Is 1mm something I should be losing sleep over in this case?

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
It depends how flexible the mounting tabs are.
On frames with flexible tabs, no problem.
On frames with very stiff tabs you'd risk damaging the tabs before they pulled in enough to clamp the hardware.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,424 Posts
I would contact RWC and see if they would send you some .5mm spacers to you for free seeing how they recommended the wrong size needle kit. Or at least cover postage.
On the other hand, how much torque was needed to tighten the bolt once it contacted the linkage till when it completely tightened on the bushings. If not much, then the linkage is probably flexable enough to not worry about.

·
And I'm out.
504 Posts
The rocker on that beast should have more than enough flexibility to tighten up 0.5mm on either side without trouble for a long while.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got ahold of RWS, and they said that there shouldn't be an issue. Apparently a big Devinci distributor, I'm guessing Fanatikbike, specs them on the frame often.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
You've been riding it 5 months and there's no play, right? It sounds like no issue to me.

If you loosen the bolt does the rocker spring apart or does the hardware stay snug in there?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You can find 1mm of difference in tolerance from Dixon to Dixon on paint alone, I would guess. You are fine as evidenced by your many months of riding.

mk

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
I totally agree. That 1MM deflection creates a load and has to go somewhere!!!!! My SWAG is thrust/side/cantilever load on the rocker pivot bearings. Not good and you should loss sleep
The bearings were a concern of mine too. But even the curve in the links shows it's not good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts