Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie Question: I have a Marzocchi EXR fork that came w/ my bike. Do you have to have a shock pump to inflate w/ the Schrader valve in the fork leg? What about adapters...saw them as well..do you need both? Can it not be done w/ a standard pump?
Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
you want a high pressure low volume pump > HPLV most tire pumps are high volume low pressure > HVLP

for example my rear fox float r has about 250 lbs in it my Talus has around 100 most days.

Your floor pump may or may not work for 100 lbs but it will more difficult to fine tune your pressure due to the volume in each stroke. It will probably not get 250 in a rear shock though. Also, many shock pumps have a relief valve to allow you to let out very small amounts of air ... so if you want 97 lbs you can pump to 100 and let out 3 lbs.

·
Harky
159 Posts
A "for real" shock pump will be very low volume and will be equipped with a thread-on fitting for the schraeder valve. A clamp-on fitting, such as one used for inflating tires, will allow some air to escape from the shock. Too iffy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.