Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good shock pump (aside from a marzocchi pump) for a marzocchi Marathon SL? Would a fox pump work okay. High pressure pump vs. low pressure? I'm kinda new at air shocks so any advice on a pump to go with it would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lbs

I recently bought a marathon as well and bought a high pressure pump with a gauge at the LBS. Just make sure you have the marzocchi adapter. I would guess the 200psi vs 300psi doesn't really make a difference as long as you watch the pressure on the gauge...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Ruinane said:
What's a good shock pump (aside from a marzocchi pump) for a marzocchi Marathon SL? Would a fox pump work okay. High pressure pump vs. low pressure? I'm kinda new at air shocks so any advice on a pump to go with it would be helpful.

Thanks
I guess what some people do is take their high pressure pump and replace the gauge with a low pressure gauge, voila you have a low pressure pump.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
any shock w/ the lowest pressure guage for your uses will work fine. As ratt said, if all they have is high pressure (ie 300lbs), you can replace the guage for $10 to 100 or 200psi.
For accuracy, you want the lowest pressure that'll work for you.

if you look 'em, lots of the pumps are the same pump, just rebranded.

Ruinane said:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
logbiter said:
any shock w/ the lowest pressure guage for your uses will work fine. As ratt said, if all they have is high pressure (ie 300lbs), you can replace the guage for $10 to 100 or 200psi.
For accuracy, you want the lowest pressure that'll work for you.

if you look 'em, lots of the pumps are the same pump, just rebranded.
Thanks for your help.

So basically the only difference between a low pressure pump and a high pressure pump is how specific the gauge is between the 5 and 10 puund marks? So if I went with a low pressure pump like a marzocchi pump, then it would work with my fox shock in the rear?

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Ruinane said:
Thanks for your help.

So basically the only difference between a low pressure pump and a high pressure pump is how specific the gauge is between the 5 and 10 puund marks? So if I went with a low pressure pump like a marzocchi pump, then it would work with my fox shock in the rear?
I have seen low pressure Marz pumps that go to 100 psi on the gauge. There are also 200 and 300 psi gauges. The wider the range, the less accuracy you are going to have between the notches on the scale. This will be problematic when attempting to determine the actual difference between 32psi to 35psi (if you need to do that for your fork).

Your rear shock probably needs 150 to 200psi.

If you only want one pump, get one with a wide range, so it covers everything.

I have a Marz z1 which uses a really low air pressure for preload. The pressure is so low it barely nudges the needle on my 0-300 pump. I adjust it by feel, the gauge is useless for that low of a pressure.

I use a Rock Shox branded air pump (came with a Pike Air). I am really happy with this pump. The rotating hose is easy to align, and it takes up a lot less space in my pack. I have seen this pump (or very similar) with different brand labels.

I were in your shoes I would go with something 200 or 300psi max that folds down, and adjust the fork by feel (not rely too much on what the gauge reads) especially if it runs really low pressure.

Anyways, this style is more difficult to store in a backpack, can we call this the 'old school shock pump'?

This style is easier to carry, IMO easier to use, and is becoming more common it seems:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
loco-****** said:
Anyone know where to buy guages?
Tonight i finally got around to making pump that will actually work with my fork after guessing at pressures. Found this gauge at my local Harbor Freight Tools for $3. Unscrewed the bottom, snapped off the scraeder pin and mounted to my old skool pump. Works freaking great and makes a huge difference in tuning the fork. Messing with the low low Par pressures can change the feel dramatically and 2 psi difference in the pos chamber can be felt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.