Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a shock pump with my new 2019 Giant Trance 2. It says on the box that I can fill tires with it too.

The 2015 Raleigh Tekoa Comp, that I am going to sell, seems to have a flat back tire.

I decided, it would be a good idea to try the shock pump. I feel really dumb for asking, but is there some trick to this?

The shock pump has a spinny thing on the bottom and a spinny thing on top, and both spinny things spin into eachother and get tight. Furthermore, it seems to tighten onto the bike's valve when I spin the top spinny thing. I tightened it all the way and gave it some pumps, but all the air I am pumping can be felt coming out at the valve connection.

I know I am not mechanically inclined, and thank God for computer science, but...I can't seem to fill this tire. :(

·
jcd's best friend
3,404 Posts
Shock pumps are typically not used to inflate a tire. Most (if not all) shock pumps are designed to be screwed into the port to pump air into the fork or shock. You will need to get a standard air pump for tires. Believe me, it's way easier to pump air into a tire/tube with a standard air pump.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Is the Raleigh schrader (like a car) or presta?

·
Registered
130 Posts
If it's a two stage shock pump like Topeak has, then the lower portion threads on to the valve, then you tighten down the upper dial. There is also the problem of shock pumps using a schrader valve and most tubes/tires using a presta valve. So you'd need an adapter if that's the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I think I got it. I had to google what "presta" is and indeed my tire valve also has a spinny thing. I spun it, and then it accepted air. Strangely though, the guage on the shock pump doesn't register any pressure, even when the tire was full. I guess the special presta valve doesn't let the pressure out to be gauged.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The tire pressure was likely just too low to register on the shock pump. The presta valve absolutely does let pressure back to the gauge.

Fork and shock air pressures are usually in the 75-300 PSI range. I run my tires between 16-20psi, and most people don't go over about 25-30psi, so it may just not have been "enough" pressure to show up on the guage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.