Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike has a fox vanilla rc and it pedals like ****!! when you pedal standing up it feels like ur using up so much energy and panting but not getting anywhere. what should i mess with compression or rebound?

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
Tighten the preload (but not more than 1/4" I think) and increase the compression. When you increase the compression you will have to increase the rebound a bit too to keep it balanced. You could also try a heavier weight spring to decrease some of that movement but you will lose small-bump compliance and plushness. The best thing you could do is send the shock to Push and have them work thier magic on it. ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,881 Posts
shook_dh said:
my bike has a fox vanilla rc and it pedals like ****!! when you pedal standing up it feels like ur using up so much energy and panting but not getting anywhere. what should i mess with compression or rebound?
Stop looking at your shock, look ahead. Get stronger and stop riding in the granny all the time.

Messing with the compression will make the bike harsher and the suspension won't work very well, and the fox RC compression adjustment will also put a lot of internal pressure on the internals, and eventually cause the shock to fail when you use a significant amount of it. This adjustment was utterly useless due to the fact that it affected the entire range of the shock, and did not have any kind of a "blow off" to allow bumps past a certain size to activate the damping and remove the pressure from the compression circut.

With shocks that have more low-speed compression damping, propedal, RP3, Push, 5th element, Swinger, DHX, and so on, you can add a bit of low speed compression damping to make them pedal better. This will decrease the suspension performance a little, but it's a decent tradeoff usually.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Khemical said:
Tighten the preload (but not more than 1/4" I think) and increase the compression. When you increase the compression you will have to increase the rebound a bit too to keep it balanced. You could also try a heavier weight spring to decrease some of that movement but you will lose small-bump compliance and plushness. The best thing you could do is send the shock to Push and have them work thier magic on it. ;)
Some of it is just a characteristic of the VanillaRCs prior to the propedal thing or whatever it was that was added in. Made for a sweet ride on downhills but sucked ass when climbing. :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Khemical said:
i dont wana put a stiffer spring on it, the dhi was plush and pedald fine but this isnt as plush as the dhi was and pedals like crap so i guess ill start messing with the rebound and compression

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Up yours, J...

Jayem said:
Stop looking at your shock, look ahead. Get stronger and stop riding in the granny all the time.

Messing with the compression will make the bike harsher and the suspension won't work very well, and the fox RC compression adjustment will also put a lot of internal pressure on the internals, and eventually cause the shock to fail when you use a significant amount of it. This adjustment was utterly useless due to the fact that it affected the entire range of the shock, and did not have any kind of a "blow off" to allow bumps past a certain size to activate the damping and remove the pressure from the compression circut.

With shocks that have more low-speed compression damping, propedal, RP3, Push, 5th element, Swinger, DHX, and so on, you can add a bit of low speed compression damping to make them pedal better. This will decrease the suspension performance a little, but it's a decent tradeoff usually.
I ride in the granny gear practically all the time, and I like it! How the heck do you expect a geezer like me to pedal around a big hit bike all the time without using the granny gear? I detect age discrimination here. :p

Seriously though, you're right about the RC's compression valving. But doesn't PUSH's revalving deal change that aspect?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.