Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
700 Posts
swade said:
Does cold weather affect the performance of a shock? And if so, how cold does it have to be to have an effect?
The damping rates are slower / heavier out the door. If you are descending a bunch the suspension will warm up a bit and run normally but as soon as you slow down and the suspension is working less it will get heavy again. Just think about your muscles...it pretty much acts like that. You will be stiff and slower until you warm up, then you can operate normally.

Even here in So. Cal. it has been colder than normal, roughly it's been right at freezing the last week or so. It was only 34f on my ride in this morning. I am tuning and noticing the settings are heavier than normal right now. I could only imagine when its colder the damping would be even heavier.

Happy Holidays!
MTD

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
swade said:
Does cold weather affect the performance of a shock? And if so, how cold does it have to be to have an effect?
Yes.
I ride year around and once the temps get down below 40degs i can start to feel the differance and in the teens you'll find your fork/shock feels very sluggish.
You could change to a lighter weight oil for winter riding,i just keep riding.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had been noticing the same thing but wasn't sure if it was just me being cold, slow and out of shape. I'm not worried about changing out the oil, cause I ride much less in the winter anyway. Our dirt around here in KY turns to mud very easily. Lot's of freeze/thaw cycles.

I mainly wanted to make sure I'm not going to harm my shock or fork with cold riding. I don't ride if it's less than 20F.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My DHX coil definately gets more sluggish in the cold. First compression there is quite a lot of stiction but it loosens up as the ride goes on and the oil heats up. When slow climbing over roots the DHX 'clunk' (see old threads on early DHX) returns in the cold too even though I am riding a new shock now.

My colder rides tend to be more gentle due to the wind chill anyway so I hope I'm not damaging my shock. Coldest I've ridden is 20F too.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
It depends entirely on your oil.
Different base oils, different additives and different intended temperature ranges.

The worst oil I found for thickening was something RS was using in their rear shocks around the late 90's. Just above zero it started to feel like an elastomer shock.
Changing to PJ1 (what I was using at the time) made a huge improvement.

I've used PJ1, Silkolene, Maxima, Spectro and Maxima over the years, all performed way better in the cold that whatever RS put in that shock.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
dunno about anyone else, but my RP32 gets rather soft when it's cold
Looks like we all missed that one.
The pressure drops in air shocks when they cool down, not a lot but enough to notice if you're looking for it.

I ride coil springs on all but my commuter so I'm mostly immune to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.