Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a Heckler and cant decide on the shock.

The situation is that I want to replace my Ellsworth Truth with something a little more heavy duty and all mountain. Fairly sure I will go for the Heckler due to good price and simplicity.

Truth has a Romic (Ti) and it's a lovely shock. Other bike is a Coiler with DHX5.0 coil, which is also nice but a very heavy bike for XC riding at 40lbs.

Heckler will be do it all bike but I have never had an air shock and I weigh 200lbs. Looking at 5-6ft drops max.

I am torn between the DHX air and coil. There is a UK£70 price difference. Maybe I should spend that towards a Ti spring on a DHX coil (but will cost another UK£130) :confused:

·
_
850 Posts
get the coil, mount it, set it and forget about it, since you have the coiler and a dhx coil on it, i dont need to explain how bullet proof that shock is. i'd be a little iffy on doing 5-6 foot drops on a dhx air weighing 200lbs.

i also say to save your money and dont get the ti spring, i highly doubt you will notice the amount of weight it saves you.

i recently sold my 05 heckler that had a dhx coil 5.0 on it. i was considering trading shocks with someone with a dhx air, but decided that the coil was the sturdier of the two shocks. i weigh about 190 with full camelbak and pads and the biggest drops i did were about 5 feet. i'm not certain that the dhx air would have stood up to the abuse over time, but i had no worries about the integrity of the dhx coil.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Manitou ISX-6.

I've just got one of these on an Intense 5point5 and although it is not a hucking bike, the shock is billed as a "freeride" shock. I thought I'd mention it as an air option. It's available in sizes up to 9.5"X3.0" so it's intended use is obviously not cross country. I unfortunately have not had a chance to ride it yet due to weather. I have been talking to TNC on the suspension forum. He has an Evolver on a Nomad and he appears to be very impressed with it.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
you are cross posting

put an edit in your title, that says x-post.

You are going to get the same info that you already have. at your weight, get the DHX coil, or the Manitou eq.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.