Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rebuilt my shock recently, mounted it on the bike everything seemed fine. next day i went for a ride but noticed there was something not looking right. exposed shaft length seemed short, measured ant it was almost 1/2" shorter than what it should be. normal is 3" of exposed shaft. scratched my head but went ahead and opened the shock, didnt see anything unusual so i put it back together and on the bike. measured the shaft to make sure and it was correct length 3".
came to garage next morning to find the very same thing. missing almost 1/2" of shaft again. like it is being sucked back into shock body overnight. opened the shock again and put it together, again with correct 3" shaft length when mounted on the bike. next morning, same thing. now i have now idea whats going on. am i missing something? is negative air causing this? this never happened to me before.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Possibly leaking air pressure, the main o-ring that seals where the air can threads in to the piggyback end of the shock is very easy to nick. Then the negative air pressure will push the shock in to it's travel. Try replace that o-ring

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Johny, seems like two issues going on. i have solved one so far. as you are saying shock was loosing air pressure, so i inspected and re-seated all the air seals. they all looked fine, no damage. the shock holds air now and doesnt loose pressure overnight. however, now, after a 15 minutes of climbing the shaft got pulled into shock again. i checked pressure in main chamber and it was the same so no leak there. when pulling shock apart at home there seemed to be significant air pressure in neg chamber though, as i could hear loud hiss. i guess its time to change quad seal?

·
Registered
684 Posts
this is exactly what happened to me yesterday. after 30 or so minutes of riding i noticed running too much sag. the pressure seemed correct but exposed shaft length seemed
short. measured once i got home and was 1/2" short. took it apart and it almost popped up on me after unscrewed (with all air released from main chamber), seemed like neg chamber was pressurized quite a bit. (i have taken this shock apart several times never dealt with this). concerning seals, i have installed brand new ones (including quad between neg and pas chambers) during last rebuild, some 2 months ago. cant believe they would be failing this soon?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts